unique alpine ?

Hi on another forum there is a unique alpine in my desired caliber 6.5x284.

I've never heard much of this brand.

Can anyone tell me anything about them.

I want it as a stalking setup - would it be suitable. Are they threaded and barrel length ect.

I've PM the seller but think he's away.

Any help would be great

Cheer

Fp

Hi Fp,

Google it-there is a decent review by Bruce Potts if its the Unique Alpine PG1/similar.

Nothing wrong with 6.5x284,as a stalking cartridge,but the rifle is about 14 lb...and goodness knows how many £s.

Not everyone's idea of a stalking rifle,but the review is quite detailed.Performance is good-but for stalking it's the cartridge that is doing the real work (other than the person carrying the heavy rifle).

gbal

Hi mate how are you?,,,I had one many years ago in 6BRNorma and from memory it had a fairly heavy tube.,,,,Agree with Gbal they are really heavy and fit for a range which is where I used mine most of the time.Nice rifle though well made and lots of twiddly bits and trigger etc but its at its best when planted on the ground.Take care,,,,D

Nice one George n dave as ever very helpful.

I think it's being sold very cheap at 1600 quid so guessing barrel has had it.

I'll ponder some More.

Cheers lads.

Nice one George n dave as ever very helpful.

I think it's being sold very cheap at 1600 quid so guessing barrel has had it.

I'll ponder some More.

Cheers lads.

1600 pounds is cheap for one of these rifles. I seem to remember them being about 5000 pounds or thereabouts when they were new. Also they are a heavy gun. I held one a few years back and can still remember how heavy it was. But they are meant to be extremely accurate. Even with a shot barrel it is still fairly cheap when you take the expense of buying another one.

1600 pounds is cheap for one of these rifles. I seem to remember them being about 5000 pounds or thereabouts when they were new. Also they are a heavy gun. I held one a few years back and can still remember how heavy it was. But they are meant to be extremely accurate. Even with a shot barrel it is still fairly cheap when you take the expense of buying another one.

Forgot to say it's the tpg1 model.

TGP1 is a hundred or two over £4,000.

http://www.yorkguns.com/Rifles-for-sale?&ItemsPerPage=6&SortBy=NAMEDESC

York Guns became the importer / distributor some years back - I don't know if they still are. The company thought that sold as a package with an S&B PMII (it was also the UK's main importer of Schmidts at that time) it could break the AI stranglehold on the police marksman rifle market. Apart from being rather (!!) late onto the scene when nearly everybody had got their AIs already, the initiative foundered - too expensive I'd think.

So £1,600 is really cheap - which in itself probably tells you something. If I remember right, they use a QR no-gunsmithing swap barrel system, so rebarrelling isn't a chore, depending of course on the price and availability of said factory barrels.

I can't talk for the CSR and Tactical people, but the few that I've seen in F simply didn't cut the mustard. In 308, the barrel is too short and the rifle too heavy for FTR, and whilst accurate enough, isn't in the cheaper custom rifle performance bracket or able to match a good AI. The fact that a 24-inch barrel job exceeds the 8.25 Kg all-up weight FTR ceiling once a half-decent scope and lightweight competition bipod are added suggests to me that it'd be a guaranteed hernia inducer as a stalking piece.

I have owned 2 of these, they are a very nice rifle but for what use. As laurie says too heavy for ftr the barrels are 26 inches, too short for real long range stuff. York guns gave up the dealership of Unique Alpine , getting a new factory barrel although easy to fit would be neither straightforward or cheap. A good friend of mine uses one as a foxing gun but he likes real heavy rifles. This is cheap for a reason , no one has a use for it that another rifle cannot do better, as for stalking with it I hope you are a big strong lad. by the way its now for sale at £1400 and still not sold.

Archived