Recent Forays

kip270

Last week i had a phone call from the keeper "The herdsman spotted a fox in the calfing field at 3pm??, we need to get up there" so we headed off, me the lamp man and the keeper was the rilfeman.

We walked the whole shoot without spotting a thing, then we got to the last field and i lamped up the hedgerow, a few rabbits, we were just about to walk away when a fox came through the hedgerow, the keeper was down and bi-pod deployed and ready for the shot, the fox was walking to our left, i asked if he was ready, "yes" so i made one of my sounds "mmmaaaa" the fox stopped broadside and then dropped, a nice clean kill.

A nice Dog fox, so one happy keeper and landowner :lol:

DSC00038.jpg

I had been away for a few days to recharge the old batteries :lol: got back on saturday to a phone message "I've seen a few foxes round my lambs when came you sort them out??" so last night was my first chance, Dan was now the rifleman again and me the lampman. It was a warm night with a half moon, and a bit of a breeze.

We walked the first field that had sheep & lambs in, and everything looked good, so we continued and came to a gateway, and stood for a bit then called with my WAM call, scanning all the fields as i was calling. From where we were i could see the barn i had led in a few weeks ago in ambush, and in that field we spotted a fox!!!! I got out my rangefinder 854 yards and it was a 100% a fox, this Lightforce 240 is some lamp.....

Then i swung the lamp round to where we came from and there in the fence line was another fox, but with the sheep being in both fields there was no chance of a shot, not knowing what may behind the fox. Dan wanted to try and take it, but i explained the reason why the shot was NOT safe, and he then agreed(sowing the right seeds leads to a very good crop, something my uncle once told me), it will be there for another day and won't be so lucky.

We carried on and then headed off to a spot where we have spotted a few foxes but not had any. Once on the top of the brow i scanned the field and nothing, so we moved another 30 yards and then "Bling" foxes eyes in the long grass, not bothered by the lamp but it was heading into a small gully, we lost sight of it, so moved closer to the gully, but still nothing.

Dan wanted to move off, but i said the wind was right so it hadn't got wind of us nor was it spooked by the lamp, so we would wait and see if it came out of the long grass, then at the other end of the field we spotted it, coming back our way and around 150yards away, Dan was ready off a fence post so i shouted "Oi" the fox stopped broadside, then dropped "Thump" the fox dropped then got up and ran a few yards into some long grass. Dan's shot was true, so we quickly made our way to where we last saw the fox, then i spotted it's eye's so dan applied the Coupe-De-grace, a vixen but not in milk, so i will be out this week after the cubs with the .17hmr.

So a happy Dan and Farmer

DSC00040.jpg

Guest varmartin

The weather is getting better every day now so we can all get out and about...looking forward to some lamping my self soon.

Well done lads. :lol:

Archived