Variation and calibre choice opinions/advice please

Sorry for the late reply, there's problems with broadband in our area.

I'd rather buy something fit for purpose, than have to "pimp" a rifle I've only just bought.

Am I right in thinking the .260 can stabilise bullets up to a maximum of 140 grains?

Also, what sort of twist rates does the .260 come in. It doesn't seem to show any on the GMK site?

Jamie[/quo

Jamie...it can shoot 140g -Probably stalkers favourite,and maybe tacticals,but see Laurie's excellent comments on this and generally on this issue!! "260 shootout" article will have info on the trio of currently and rightly popular general purpose 260/6.5s...not that 6.5 is new-the swedeX55 and M/S x54 are stalking greats,just not big.heavy,beasts in the modern fashion(but not ideal range rifles for the same reason).

g

Apologies, I have read all posts start to finish, it's a fair bit to try and take in, (and remain in) also at times my wee brain spills over with info!

Jamie

• 5 weeks later...

A quick question on the variation aspect of things if I may folks.

I've spoken with the West Mercia flo about my intention to put in a variation. He said that as i'm regrettably selling my .204R to offset the cost of the 260 Rem it would be a free. However, I forgot to mention that i'll also be asking for the .308 Win as well.

As such, I presume i'll have to pay, which is fine. However, when you put in a variation, do you have to pay the set variation cost amount for each additional rifle, or just the standard variation fee, regardless of whether it's 1 rifle or 3?

I appreciate I can call the firearms office, but for a while now the office is only open for a short time each day for calls, and its regularly engaged.

Cheers

J.

Archived