Has anyone tried removing the tips

njc110381

I've been messing about with a couple of bullets today, and found that the tip of an A-Max pulls out really easily. I'm tempted to load some up to see if they expand better without the tips. What do you think? They have huge hollow points on them without the plastic, but I'm unsure whether the plastic tip actually helps with expansion? There is a small void behind the tip which I assume is to allow it to push back into the bullet on impact.

All this could be a really pointless idea, but it kept me ammused for a few minutes earlier when I filed one in half to see what it looked like. It turns out it looks just like half a HMR bullet apart from there not being a tapered jacket at the front end of the A-Max.

In most plastic tipped bullets under the plastic tip is an air gap, on contact the tip is driven backwards into the air gap and opens the bullet up. Removing the tip will not add anything to ballisitic efficiency, will almost certainly not speed up expansion and the lack of tip will probably create bullet yaw and inaccuracy.

If you want rapid expansion use VMAX, they expand pretty fast. If you want a Target type bullet that expands try Barts or maybe Berger, I say maybe on Berger as I have very limited experiance of them.

Try it if you want and report but IMHO I cannot see any benifit at all.

A

I had a feeling that may be the case! Never mind, it kept me ammused at the time :blink:

I'm sure i have read somewhere that someone had tried them and they shot well.

but I'm getting on in years so i could have dreamed it :lol::lol:

ATB

Colin ;)

Guest Tiff

I've been doing it for years. It seems to work extremely well with the smaller calibers. I've found no changes in accuracy, still the same one hole groups, but the BC is obviously a bit lower. Certainly messes up rabbits and foxes.

Archived