cleaning products

After my post regarding my loads today and the feed back Ive recieved Ive been doing a bit digging about into this re-reading old posts etc.

Varmartin mentioned perhaps a heavy fouled barrel as a possible factor, I didnt think so but I thought lets go for it and give the barrel a good scrub so to speak!! Now my normal routine is wet patch with bench rest let sit patch out till dry, another wet patch and in with the brush for a few strokes, patch out again till patches come out clean, then neutralise cleaners etc. All the time doing this I got a little copper then carbon and always finnished with a clean patch, brill I thought! Well tonight Ive soaked for an hour with bore foam! Patched out again signs of copper but were gone after 6 or so patches!! I then went back to a wet patch with B/R let it sit patch out again a little copper on the patch, wet patch again and brush! A black patch came out then after 6 it showed clean, I then put another wet patch down followed by a clean patch it came out green!!! I patched it dry soaked the barrel brushed it back to carbon on the clean patches! I am now soaking the barrel with an undersized wool mop patching out copper then wetting the barrel and out comes the carbon! Im still repeating this nipping back to the p.c. looking of new posts and letting the barrel steep!!

Now what do you lads recomend and where can I get it. Ive read craigyboys post regards Montanan and sounds good, Ive not googled it yet but what else is out there? Ive also lookd at the outers foul out but that system looks as if its good for say a yearly clean not a regular clean!

John,

I use a mix of Shooters choice and Kroil in a small dropper bottle. Patch out wet a few times then leave for over an hour. Then wet brush at least 100 strokes then patch out till clean. Never had any problems till my loads started to get hot (without changing anything about the load) and a good friend mentioned i might have a carbon build up around the throat and into the lands. I scrubbed out the first 5 inch of the lands with JB paste on a tight patch and the pressure signs in the cartridge were gone.

I too would like to here of a good product for cleaning out carbon and copper. I know alott of target shooters used bench rest and Kroil mix but that doesnt mean its the best stuff out there.

Ads...

Basically all the copper removers are based on ammonia, except for the water based like KG products. Kroil is what it says a pentrating oil with thinners etc added, it is fairly good at softening carbon. If you mix the two you are reducing the copper removers effectiveness as the oil neutralises the ammonia. I would definitely not recommend 100 strokes with a brush, you are literally wearing the barrel out without shooting and it is not necessary, same with JB as well. When you think of the work that goes into making a barrel straight and parallel, to give you accuracy, to rub it in a completely uncontrolled manner with abrasives is going to do it no good at all. Cleaning takes time not effort, soak the barrel with any of the good cleaners, shooters choice, bore foam, hoppes benchrest 9 etc, leave it for 20 mins or so, wet the bronze brush with the cleaner and give half a dozen strokes, then patch out with 3-6 patches, wet a loose fitting patch and apply more cleaner, twice if necessary and leave it to soak ( I use br9 and leave it overnight) then patch out until dry, job done.

I like Kroil and often leave the barrel soaking in it for a day then dry it out to remove carbon and it seems to work ok, it certainly shifts old gummy oil out of the action/ bolt etc and leaves a slight film stopping rust, I have ordered some of the KG1 AND KG12 which is water based to try but it still has not arrived yet!!! :) will let you know how it works when I get it.

Redfox

Wipeout is the best for getting a barrel clean but is a bit messy to use. Unless the barrel is bad I use TM Solution, available from Sinclair.

A

Im looking at M pro or another I like the soung of is Montana but finding it over here is like finding rocking horse poo!! I looked at wipe out and it always gets recomended in threads like these. I chucking my bore foam Ive never got on with it but my benchrest seemed towork OK perhaps it was just my technique!!!!

I have played with a few different cleaners and the best cooper remover for me is definatley montana extreme 50bmg. When I was running a new barrel in 2 patches of it and all cooper and carbon was gone, so quick. The downside to it is that it is very strong smelling and not pleasant. So I looked for something else and on Ronins recomendation I tried the MPRO carbon and cooper remover, I must say it is great stuff, the carbon remover is absolutley brilliant and the cooper remover works quite well too though to be honest I dont have much cooper fouling now so I cant give it a full thumbs up, I do have a factory remington coming and I am sure it will be tested then!!! I have also started brushing now which I never would have done before but after about 500 rounds down my barrel I noticed patches were very tight to get started in the bore and I must have had a ring of carbon just in the throat I got it out easy enough with a brush and so montanta extreme cream, so now I give a few quick stokes of the brush with MPRO carbon cleaner after shooting and it hasnt reappeared after another 600 or so rounds. Brushing works!!!!!!!! Another good product to try is Montana extreme cooper cream, they say it aint an abrasive but it goes in white and comes out black so it has to be, a few strokes storkes with it on a brush and patch out after a full cleaning session, I do this every 250 rounds or so just to make sure no cooper is hiding in there, it also leaves the barrel feeling very very slick, the patches just slide down, dont know if thats a good thing or not :lol:

Thanks Graigy montana paste ordered! And yes it pays to bruch the bore this is something I didnt pay much attention to!!

Well paste ordered till midway wanted £8 then added vat making it £17ish Im sorry but my goverment rips me of enough with a company doing that to me.

edited for a gripe!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived