What should I pay for a used Leupold 4-18X40 VX2 scope.

Jamie

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade the MTC scope on my .204 Ruger. I've been offered a used Leupold 4-18X40 VX2 scope. It's in mint condition, has low profile turrets that you adjust with a coin. Very nice glass, and a fine non illuminated dot reticule. It's priced at £375.

I've no idea what the difference is between the VX2 and VX3, better glass coatings??

Please could I have some constructive advice on whether £375 is a good, average, or high price for the scope?

Also, are the VX range guaranteed for life, regardless of how many owners?

Thanks

Jamie

You can get a new one for just shy of £600, so if it is mint, price is about right, as it has the gold ring it should be guaranteed for life regardless of owner but worth giving GMK a call to confirm. If you're lucky you should be able to get a set of stoney point turrets which are retro fit and will allow you to dial in, I use VX3's and -'s and really like them, never looked through a VX2 but some say the older models had better glass (then again I've heard that comment for most brands of scope)

-'s should read emm eight ;)

If you ring GMK and quote them the serial number they will confirm its genuine, also as Akeld states they are guaranteed for life see if its dirty or dusty inside, is so send I back to GMK and you will get it returned as good as new.

I bought a VX3 had if cleaned, all for 1/2?the price of a new one.

Cheers fella's, I'll go back and have another look, and look inside the tube and get the serial number.

How much is it to get "Stoney Point" turrets fitted? Never heard of them?

Cheers

Jamie

Cheers Akeld,

Easy retro fit of the Stoney Point turrets. Like it.... :)

I'll have to wait until next week to have a second look at the scope, but as I really like the Stoney Point Turrets, I'll probably make him a slightly smaller offer and see where we go from there...

Jamie

If you're sending it back for a clean, it could be worth enquiring how much to have factory fitted turrets fitted while they have it.

Good point, thanks JB1.

Silly question, but I presume they would fit Leupold turrets and not Stoney Point turrets? :blush:

Also, is there a service centre in the UK, or would it have to go back to the USA?

Regards

Jamie

European service is carried out in Germany, they quoted me £90 (per turret) to fit M1 turrets, the same as the Mk4 to my VX3, before you go ahead with the stoney points, double check they are compatible via the serial number and date as some won't fit due to a thread change

I knew they fitted them but didn't realise they were 90 each, but looking at this a different way,

Scope bought is second hand, lifetime warranty, 180 for target turrets, factory fitted and i would think water proof too, unlike the Stoney point, is it still a good price, thats what I would look at . With the leupold turrets you're looking at a total outlay close to a new scope once 20 for postage is on (roughly)

If I was in your boot's ide go 1 of 2 way's, save a little more, or if you are that way inclined have a look at some of the site's offering interest free credit, Aim sports from here, or uttings,

Thanks for the imput fella's.

I'm kind of re-assessing my options after some good advice on this thread and some via pm...

Cheers

Jamie

Archived