Well I bit the bullet and bought a lightforce 170 last week.

The build quality is better and the switch seems stronger too, so lets hope it lives up to price and expectations.

My original LSI ones are still fine but the filters are all scratched now and hold back a fair bit of light, so I sprung for this one, certainly throws a good beam when I tried it the other night, so will try to get out over the weekend and give something a nasty surprise ;)

Redfox

Guest varmartin

You wont be disappointed mate, as long as you use it within its limitations.

Some people have trouble with them cos they use them as `search lamps` keeping them on too long and burning out the cigar lighter socket is common.

Had mine 2 years , and not had a bulb go yet, but put an up rated connector on to stop it letting me down in the future, or when I need to defrost my toes in mid winter ;)

First thing I do with mine is to cut the cable above the switch ;) attach an inline dimmer unit and do away with the exceptionally rubbish cigarette lighter connections and fuses. Get some proper cable, new connectors (I have eye connectors at the moment but think I'll switch either to spade connectors or more likely electric strimmer/lawnmower types). Do the same with your charger and batteries and Bob's your fathers brother. You can have it on as long as your battery will give you power, I've also downgraded my bulb to 50W and could easily shoot a fox 250 yards witht hat light if I really needed to.

All you need is a cheap plug in soldering iron and the required solder stuff (that's a technical term) from Maplins plus the above components and you're ready to rock. This method has not let me down yet.

Guest martin
First thing I do with mine is to cut the cable above the switch ;) attach an inline dimmer unit and do away with the exceptionally rubbish cigarette lighter connections and fuses. Get some proper cable, new connectors (I have eye connectors at the moment but think I'll switch either to spade connectors or more likely electric strimmer/lawnmower types). Do the same with your charger and batteries and Bob's your fathers brother. You can have it on as long as your battery will give you power, I've also downgraded my bulb to 50W and could easily shoot a fox 250 yards witht hat light if I really needed to.

All you need is a cheap plug in soldering iron and the required solder stuff (that's a technical term) from Maplins plus the above components and you're ready to rock. This method has not let me down yet.

Hi John,where do you get the in-line dimmer switch,I have been trying to source a decent smallish dimmer for ages now with no luck,have you got a link to where you got it please........................Martin.

Good luck with your lamp pard, I have had nothng but problems with mine from day one, I have put 2 switches in it, the joint just below the switch has melted down a few times, the plug has been changed 4 times, the terminals on the batteries have just about caught fire this happened whilst out with Varmartin one night and I hadn't had it on that long. Just lately I have had the wire brake twice now right on the bend where the wire goes into the lamp head by the red cover. An awful lot of money for what they are. Sounds like JG has it sorted but we shouldn't have to do all the alterations on something that costs so much.

A mate of mine has just got a Deben Tracer 400m beam and so far it looks really good will take it out on some bigger fields soon and see what it's really like, but as I say it seems very good and I might be getting lamp number 7 soon :lol:

I've got two dimmer units from this site. They're not cheap, but they do anm excellent job and are in my opinion more reliable a switch than the Lightforce ones. Again, with these units I chopped the cigarette connections and soldered it onto the lamp cable and new lead.

I don't know if I'd say I've got it sorted but I'm getting there. I agree there shouldn't be the need to spend more money but to be honest I'd chop the lead anyway to be rid of that awful curly lead bullsheet they put on it, annoys me no end. At the moment I've got a lamp head awaiting repair as the cable snapped where it exits the lamp itself. The joys of foxing lads :lol:

Thanks for the heads up lads, I always change the leads on lamps as they put thin cable that acts as a resistance and drops the voltage to the bulb. I use heavy duty speaker cable from Maplins, its good for 20amps and the light is brighter immediately, I also use their heavy duty fag lighter plugs and solder every joint. My other lamps have been going years without failing so I will do it to this one as you say as well.

You can buy a plug and socket for the supply to a caravan for the fridge etc and they again are well rated, they look a bit like a short jack plug and stay plugged in too. I will get down to the caravan place this week and see if I can convert them all to that, only down side I will have to make a shaort fag lighter adapter lead for use in other lads cars, but not hard to do :lol:

Redfox

Archived