How light in .308?

JDBenelliM1

My barrel is 1:12 twist and I've been using 155gr SMK and SMK palmas with reasonable results. This was the load the previous owner used.

I'm new to .308 and trying to understand relationship between twist/weight

what would be the lightest bullet anyone would recommend with this twist rate?

Cheers

John

John,there will be a wealth of experience on 308 twist.The 1/12 is just right for Palma 155 and match shooting (the theory once was that the slightly slower twist had less friction and thus more velocity-maybe,but 1/12 is spot on whatever the reason.)

308 is quite tolerant of twist/bullet weight- for a deer rifle 1/13 often fine for the 150 hunting bullets,many factory rifles are 1/11 and OK .

The really light bullets-eg 110g Sierra Varminter should be OK in 1/12. Like most twist/rifle issues,once on the edges of accepted best practice,it really is down to the individual barrel/load combination,and what 'acceptable' means for that application (which is always true).

Accurate Shooter site has a wealth of good data on 308 w

gbal

My rifle has 1:10 twist and I've had good results with sierra 125 grain. I've only used them out to 200 metres but was plenty please with the results. I would have thought you'd have no problems at all with 1:12 twist. Best results will always be achieved with home loads and careful load development. If you're a factory ammo man then it might take a little longer and be a bit more costly to find something that matches your gun.

Thanks again G, I'll check out accurate shooter. I do like the 155s but when they run out I was going to experiment with a different load.

I do load my own, I didn't want to waste time or money pursuing something that wasn't really feasible.

Cheers

John

Thanks again G, I'll check out accurate shooter. I do like the 155s but when they run out I was going to experiment with a different load.

I do load my own, I didn't want to waste time or money pursuing something that wasn't really feasible.

Cheers

John

John,absolutely-it's (almost) all been did already-often extensively in US (though powder availability comes in,sometimes).

Laurie has vast detailed experience of most 308 issues,and may expand-there is not so much though on the very light Varminter bullets-I hope to try them soon.For the rest,there are known good recipes-I don't get this 200 round load development program at all-at least the 308 won't have much barrel wear doing it!

Match competitors ,of course ,are inclined to try to squeeze the last iota of performance-club shooters do better to wait and see what the R&D guys settle on,and hope it isn't a longer barrel. Stalkers would probably do as well with 1970s recipes!

And some just like to explore-and why not!

gbal

110gn V-max are pure evil in a .308... Its an Absolutely devastating rnd

We use them in 1-12 twist with a fast burning powder , no problems !

What sort of range are you using them out too? I had been thinking of trying them myself but doubted they'd be much use over 200m if the conditions get a little blustery cos of their low BC.

Treetop,that's useful-I didn't have any doubts about short range effects!

But with pretty poor BC in the Sierra HP (.16) and 200y zero,I see drop/drift at 300 is 13/24 inches,getting very marginal and at 400 it's 44/47- unuseable,and twice what a 50g vmax (BC.24) in 223 would give.

How do the better BC Vmax 110g do at those sort of distances ? (compared to 223 7/11 and 21/22).

gbal

That may be the issue mike when I look into it further. No more than 400y really.

I'd like a fast hunting round for winter and keep the 155s for long range, 500+

My .243 hasn't done much and may get sold if I can get a load that works

That may be the issue mike when I look into it further. No more than 400y really.

I'd like a fast hunting round for winter and keep the 155s for long range, 500+

My .243 hasn't done much and may get sold if I can get a load that works

it's very easy to dismiss a gun that you don't use much. For years my 308 was my go to gun, then one day I decided I must invest some time into load development on my 243. Now it's my go to as far as roe are concerned. 87 grn V-max with 41.2 grns of RE15 and it's as flat as anything. 3 shots on a 20p at 200 metres in still weather or if wind is either towards or behind me. RE15 is a bit difficult to find at the mo, but I'm sure i could get similar results without too much effort with N140.

The 87 V-max has a .4 G1 BC so that's good enough for me and the ranges I take live quarry at.

Relationship between length/weight and twist:

http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Faccurateshooter.net%2FBlog%2Fmillerformula.xls&ei=dqImVMTvFanmyQPDloL4Ag&usg=AFQjCNEpS1S28cAraYaDnMcuuLWo6Re4dw&sig2=Ore1qKBVD7QDdrK9zyIH4w&bvm=bv.76247554,d.bGQ

In short you ca go as light as you want but in the end weight dictates length and that is the limit.

At @1.4" you will start to hit problems.

Hi,

We mainly use them out to 200m ...

For a laugh we were shooting apples with them at 200m to see there effect ... It vapourises them !

Powder -varget , ADI bench rest , ADI xbr , we all use slightly different loads ...

Federal primers

They are shifting tho, really motoring .. I did have a chrono speed somewhere, I shall look for it

Archived