By Request

kip270

Well with my last lamping trip not going too well i went out on my own, it was early evening so i decided to lie in wait in a barn that we have been baiting the adjacent fields, but nothing showed. I took the lamp so when it did get dark i could have a look about.

Not seeing anything where i was lying in ambush, i headed off to another field to have a look, so parking up i got out and just had a look about with the lamp, and there was a fox out in the field about 180 yards away, so i went back to my car got my rilfe ready and then back to the field. I found a good steady post and rested the rifle on it, then scanned the field the fox was still there, but trying to lamp and shoot was not as easy as i liked, but kept my cool. I was getting a bit of glare from the lamp from the mod, but found the fox in my scope, a small squeak with my lips and it stopped broadside, cross-hairs on it's chest"Bang" one fox taken. A small barren Vixen(didn't have my phone on me for a pic) ;)

Then on Tuesday, Dan rang and asked if i fancied going out for a few hours, certainly no need to ask me twice ;);)

We got out at about 10:10pm, and had a look in the field where i took the vixen from the other night, there were lots of lambs and rabbits(the rabbits are on my hit list) then in the next field at the other end we spotted a fox, it's eye's shining like a beacon, but the wind was not really in our favour, but we headed off taking a chance. We got into the same field and the fox didn't care about the lamp, so keeping the fox in the edge of the lamp we got closer, we were about 200 yards away when a big gust of wind came along, and the fox was off like a rocket ;) we had no other way of getting down wind but it only ran off because of the scent.

We had a good walk about but failed to spot any other foxes, so were heading back. We were now on a hill that over looks the field where we spotted the fox, so i had a scan about and then we spotted a set of eye's mooching along a field 500 yards away, i gave a few calls on my WAM call, and the fox sat down and looked at us, so we sat down and waited, but the fox didn't want to move.

After about 15mins the fox moved off and sat by a tree, the wind was right for us to stalk it so we made our way closer, keeping the fox in the edge of the lamp, three fields and a country lane later we were within range for dan to take a shot. The grass was too long for the bi-pod so he had to shoot off my full length stalking sticks, i told him if he's not sure to leave it, but he was confident, and took the shot.

At his shot the fox ran off 10 yards then stopped, dan was ready and squeezed off another shot, the fox ran off again then stopped, again dan took a shot and the fox ran again, i took the rifle from dan, slipped a round into the chamber and got onto the fox, it was looking at me so i placed the cross-hairs on it's head and dropped it on the spot.

I had a few choice words with dan, and as a result we had a bit of a falling out, but i hate the thought of anything being wounded.

When we got to the fox dans shot had gone through both legs, but not it's chest,it was a bit mangy so glad we got it.

Dan is now back shooting at paper until i'm happy with his shooting, i know it happens but i would rather him say "I don't think i can take the shot" and we will get it again, rather than wound anything.

DSC00037.jpg

Good write up pard, and a fair call on making Dan shoot paper for a while hope he understands why and that you are still speaking ;)

We have been through worse, so a bit of range work will bring his confidence back B)

Archived