223/22.250 Howa ?

cockneykev

Hi all ,

im looking at a Howa 223/22.250 for foxing and a Browning x bolt for deer re deer im undecided as to 270 or 308 .

Can anyone give advice / comments re either rifle ?

look forward to your replies

Thanks

Kev

My mate has a howa in 223. Heavy varmint I think. I have shot this rifle many times and for the money I cannot fault it at all. The trigger tunes down to a pound and breaks crisply. The action itself seems to be well put together. His rifle regularly shoots under half moa at 100 yards. Very good rifle for very humble money.

I'd go for the .308 above .270 for stalking, .308 is much more versatile, easier on the shoulder and IMO a better calibre, but each to their own. The Browning X-Bolt wouldn't be my choice, I'd be inclined toward a Tikka T3, a much better rifle and seriously accurate out of the box.

Hi, well after having handled the Browning i was impressed with how it came to the shoulder and felt "right " so im toying with it in 243 as an all round foxer with the chance of the odd deer being taken with it.

As an all round deer rifle im tempted by the Tikka but would like any advice on all rifles in 308.

Any ideas on a good set of scope mounts/rings for a Browning T Bolt for a 25mm scope ?

many thanks

Kev

Kev,you are right to want a rifle that feels good,though you might find quite a lot of different rifles do just that.

243 is an excellent all round UK rifle-very good for roe,perhaps a little unforgiving on large deer,unless shot placement is perfect (308 etc better,more error margin). 243 is more than needed for fox,especially at typical fox ranges-up to 250 y- but it is effective,and quite flexible.At 250,trajectory isn't a big deal -nor is it with 222/223/22250,6 BR etc etc-they are all near point and shoot,with a 200 zero. The 243 with light bullets(58g) is as 'flat' as you'll get (but not by much) and with the heavier (87+) becomes a deer round (red marginal).

Big deer really are better shot with a heavier cartridge/more energy.The 308 will certainly fit that bill,and again is quite flexible in loading (from 110g varmint to 210g boar). The 243 and 308 are two extremely well known and used UK cartridges,and are rightly well regarded,when used sensibly,without any nasty surprises. Consider useage-a walking/stalking rifle has to be carried-better to start at 7lb than 12lb,and you won't fire many shots (probably one).

Tikka are very sound out of the box rifles-there would be some sense in getting your two rifles the same,save for calibre-it just simplifies all the ergonomics etc. I'd personally get two sakos-and not the current ones either-they are just good to go,bling resistant,and feel right to me-and,shoot very well.

gbal

Archived