Sako 75 in a Mac' Lazzeroni Sporter stock.

Not posted on here for a while, guess I am more of a stalker than Varminter but I thought this project might interest you guys.

I have always wanted a thumbhole stock for my Sako 75, although there are several possibilities for a laminated ones I wanted a synthetic, the one I really like was the McMillan Lazzeroni. However this stock does not come inletted for a Sako 75.

In the small ads on SD there was a for a thumbhole stock for a long action Remington 700 make unknown. The price was reasonable and if I ended up scrapping it trying to make it fit the Sako it wouldn’t havebeen the end of the world. It was advertiser though the stock was a HS Precision. After viewing the various web sites of different stocks I thought it was a Mac' Lazzeroni which it did turn out to be.

As the Remmy action is round but the Sako is flat bottomed so I needed to mill out the stock for this, also the front mounting bolt was half a hole out if I indexed off the rear one. The Remmy action is shallower than the Sako one also.

To mill the stock to accept the Sako action I used a woodworking router, this can be set for the depth you require and then rested it on the top of the stock. I milled the action 3mm oversize to give me a good amount of bedding compound between the action and stock.

Next on the lathe I turned up two pillars, I made the rear one a top hat style so the rear of the action rests directly on the pillar. The front one was slotted so that the recoil lug butts up to the pillar. These we both 14mm in diameter. I then bedded the action and glued the pillars in in one operation. I sat the action as low as I could but still allowing the bolt to be removed. I used Loctite Hysol plastic metal, it might not be the best to work with as it is quick setting and not too fluid even when warmed up, but it is hard once sets and it is what I had to hand.

DumfriesandGalloway-20140102-00134_zpsff

Pillars fitted to the action.

Next I had to fit the floor plate, however this sat proud of the stock slightly so I built up the bottom of the stock with more Hysol until it blended in with the rest of the stock. On the right side of the stock there is a cut out for the ejection port of a 700, this is not need with a Sako so this was filled, it is purely cosmetic but nice to try and get it to look right. On the left side of the action I had to remove some material to allow access to the bolt release. Finally I added some bedding compound around the barrel as the profile of my barrel was slight smaller than the original. The barrel was still allowed to free float of course. I opened up the slot for the bolt very slightly and took some material from the stock were your trigger finger wraps round.

DumfriesandGalloway-20140111-00149_zps72

The left side of the stock modded for the bolt release and the bottom built up for the floor plate.

DumfriesandGalloway-20140111-00150_zps72

Ejection port filled and stock releived for trigger finger.

DumfriesandGalloway-20140714-00318_zps8b

ArgyllandBute-20140715-00326_zps00ef044c

I let James at Jager Sporting arms have a free hand with the stock he came up with a 5 colour cammo patten which I have to say really blends in with the back ground and finished off the stock a treat. A bit of work was involved as it is not one colour, if you fancy a stock finishing in something simlar you will be looking at £145.

He did a great job and delivered it back to me for the start of the red stag session, although I could only find a small 6 pointer buck on it first outting.

In the end it was quite a lot of work but it is the stock I have wanted for my Sako so I am happy, also it proves that LA 700 stocks can be made to fit Sako 75 actions.

ATB

BB

Archived