Beretta 686 made 1987, use steel shots?

Need help, and I'm a shotgun illiterate.

I'm looking to buy a Beretta 686 20/76 made in 1987.

I'm unable to travel to view the shotgun, the owner "doesn't know" and can't dechiper the proof marks.

Does anyone know the proof standard for the barrels.

I'm trying to find out if I can use steel trap ammunition in this gun; I'm perfectly happy to buy vismut for the actual hunting.

Roe i got this from another forum, I've high lighted the word fluer de lys as this is the proof mark for steel shot , hope this helps.

According to the CIP, Standard Steel cartridges can be fired through any gun proofed to the standard or magnum level for lead as long as it is choked appropriately.

However high Performance steel can only be fired through guns that have the fluer de lys stamped on it.

So bearing these regulations in mind Beretta state that any of its multichoke guns therefore are standard steel proofed as long as the choke in the end has SP stamped on it.
But their fixed choke guns, using tighter than 1/2 choke or the old Mobilchoke pre SP stamp cannot be used for steel.

The guns might well withstand the high performance steel but without the stamp it's against regulations. Seeing as Beretta have to pay extra to the proof house for the stamp they don't bother knowing you can still use standard steel without it.

Have a goog for "BASc steel shot" and BASC CIP Steel"

there are 2 pdfs with all the info ...

Can't remember when the fleur de lis for High performance steel was introduced (mid 90s??). The trap cartridges will probably be standard performance steel ... But the CIP info will be on the box.

Archived