Cracking night out!!

SOUTHERNER

Popped up a local permission last nite as lambing is just starting.

We arrived about 7.30 to get ourselves into the middle of flock for dusk.

After about 20 mins a the 1st fox is sited on the far hedge line about 200 yards away, but no amount of calling would bring him in :evil:

So we decided to go to it, as soon as we stood up it disappeared back through the hedge :P

So as we were up, we had a stroll around the field perimeter the look for any signs of fox tracks/paths.

After a few hundred yards a very strong foxy smell wafted across us, and there in front of us was several scats one being very fresh.

Also the wire if the fence was pushed up and a few stands of ginger hair were caught up.

Not wanting to contaminate the scene we left and noted it's position for a possible ambush :(:(

In the next field nothing showed itself so on to the next.

On crossing the lane we scanned the field opposite to see fox eyes on the far edge about 250 -300 yards away, a quick squeak on the back of my hand got his attention and in he came like a steam train.

Every 50 or so yards he would stop, and another squeak would bring him 50 yards closer until he got to about 150 yards away between two large oaks when i though i've pushed my luck enough.

I steadied myself on a large gatepost, when he ran in again :x so a quick oi stopped him for the last time and boom job done number 1 in the bag :(

A quick coffee and we push on up to the front end of the permission as we had seen some activity the week before.

It wasn't long until a pair of fox eyes had been picked to our right, again on the border of the permission and on the skyline.

We called but it soon lost interest and went its own way.

We kept calling for about 30 mins when another fox let its self be seen in the distance, but again only came another 50 or so yards before tuning tail and going.

One last call to try and bring it back when for some reason i turn around to check behind us, and there not 20 yards away is what must have been the previous fox wander across the track :shock:

With a mad scramble Rob tried to turn himself to get a shot but with all the commotion it decided to run on passed us and stop about 150 yards in front to stop and sit down :twisted:

Rob took the opportunity and...

Boom number 2 in the bag <_<

On inspection we couldn't believe the similarities between the two dog Fox. I think they may well have been from the same last years litter.

So a good productive night , a few lambs saved ( hopefully )

And the best bit i was back home in bed by 10.30 :huh:;)

08-04-08FOX.jpg:P

Archived