First buck of the season

Guest wireviz

[well done mate nice to get that first one under the belt .I will be out this weekend got a friend visiting hope he connects with a nice one . :D

I found a good mature buck also, i watched him through the scope for about five mins, he is still partly in velvet so he can wait a while ;)

I am looking foreward to a trip north of the border at the weekend to put my cooper .223 to good use, i hope

They are superb little dogs for stalking, the main thing is to make sure the dog walks at heel, once your dog has had a good whiff of a dead deer or two then they pickup very quickly on what they are looking for.Take the dog to the area of your shot deer and encourage the dog to find it, giving lots of praise and leave the dog as much as possible to use its nose. Mine will walk to heel all day, but, if she pulls foreward by a yard or two then thats a good indication that she has picked up some scent, and thats the que to stop and spend five mins or so just looking.She has given me the "nod" on deer as far as 70-80yds away.

I kept a pup off her last litter, which was doing great at three years old, unfortunatly they got into a fight while i was at work, it ended up with millie (the dog in the photo) killing her three year old daughter, it was a sad day.

I have a young lab, which i hope to train as my next stalking dog, but also as my wildfowilng dog, i dont know if its possable to have a dual purpose dog, but i will be spending this summer training her on deer, then by this coming winter she will be 18 months old, just about right to take out on the marsh.

Archived