43g, is it enough?

Last weekend I thought I’d buy some different ammunition for my .22-250 (1 in 14 tr). I wasn’t happy with the accuracy as the Fed 55gr was grouping at circa 1.25” and the Hornady 50g V-Max at 1.4” at 100m.

I bought some Fed Premium V-Shok with 43g speer tnt green heads, (non lead, highly frangible). Grouping tightened to between 0.5” and 0.6” at 100m shooting prone off the bipod with a bag under the butt. Probably could go a lot better with someone else behind the stick.

Needless to say I was very happy with this and went off to remove some rabbits from one of the farms. Devastating terminal results.

My concern is the because the bullet is so light it might not be suitable for foxes and munties.

Has anyone used this for foxes and muntjack? Is it suitable? I’ll only be using it out to about 150m so should have plenty of energy left.

If not the stats might allow more experienced people than me come to a reasoned answer.

Link: http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=775

Thanks for your help,

J

I haven't used them but would on foxes and wabbits , however , I'm not sure I'd choose them for munti's ? the bluerb says they are highly frangible and as munti's are tough little things I think I'd want a slightly tougher bullet ? just my thoughts ?

I haven't used them but would on foxes and wabbits , however , I'm not sure I'd choose them for munti's ? the bluerb says they are highly frangible and as munti's are tough little things I think I'd want a slightly tougher bullet ? just my thoughts ?

Very good point, I guess it won't retain it's weight for very long. Back to the drawing board.....

+1 esp on Tackb's points.

It's by design a frangible,small varmint bullet-a good one,as you found with bunnies.

The problem,as you note,isn't primarily the weight per se,but the likely weight retention-or rather the lack of it-penetration is likely to be fairly minimal on bigger critters.Energy at 655 ft lb at 200y isn't great for a

22/250,typically up 200+ ft lb on that with the 50+ grainers...

There should be a reasonable choice of commercial loadings available...50g and up...for fox/deer...

Gbal

As the minimum bullet weight is 50gr to legally shoot Munties you can guess the suitability of 43gr ammo.

Fine for foxes though, just place your shot well

Archived