Sako 591 Varmint 7mm-08

I am a new member and have a Sako 591 Varmint 7mm-08 which I bought some years ago on the understanding that it was 'worked on' by Norman Clark. Most of my limited shooting is stalking at a maximum range of about 150 yards. I am getting older and slower and lugging a heavy rifle around has ceased to be fun. I had thought about trying to make it lighter and people have suggested shortening the barrel, fluting it, having a lighter stock etc. Then, at last somebody correctly identified it and admired it! My question is: would it be sacrilege to hack it around just to go stalking when I have to admit that it is wasted on what I use it for. It is incredibly accurate even with a basic scope and factory ammo. Should I send it to a good home and just buy a lighter rifle or persevere? Advice please!

You can buy cheap synthetic rifles now with short barrels well capable of dropping any European deer that would weigh considerably less than your Sako.

I would sell it for sure.

Check this out >>> http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/RPA-International-Ltd_Rifle_Woodland-Stalker_For-Sale_110301095048001

Bob,I empathise-though I have never been one to lug a heavy stalking rifle,the choice becomes more and more academic with maturity.There is a limit to how much lighter you can make your rifle-the 591 varmint 7-08 will be 3.70kg,just rifle,and the 591 hunter version came in at 3.2kg,so a pound lighter maybe-but that's with a sporter/hunter barrel-you might get that much by shortening/fluting the varmint,depends on how short.That will cost,add in moderator rethread too.A light stock will reduce a bit,maybe not a lot-I don't have weights for the factory varmint stock.,again costs?

So considerable £ could reduce weight a bit.Final option would be to sell your varmint and buy a similar Hunter model,probably about the same price,and if you try before buy,it should shoot about the same,certainly well good enough for 150y deer. If you haven't already tried,a good idea would be to check a Hunter and see how it feels,remembering scope etc. 1-11/2 lb lighter is quite noticeable in a carry stalker,and I think you could do that for minimal £outlay.Can't see equivalent lightening work coming in at less than £500-and that is with a cheap light (plastic) stock....ugh! Better to respect your old friend,maybe,sell and get one of the basic,cheap,but adequate,plastic not so fantastic budget/light stalkers. Good cartridge,by the way!

Gbal

Archived