Roe Buck in Velvet

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

Myself and Silent have been out for a few evening stalks this year looking for a Roe Buck.

We stopped off at 6pm to check our Zero`s at 200 yards and were very happy with the results.

We then continued to a spot where we have Glassed a few Roe before.

We drove into the area and had a look to see what was around, I could not see any signs of movement in the plantation we were observing and were about to move to another location when I spotted the flash of a Deer walking away from us.

It turned side on and through the thin saplings I could clearly see it was a Roe Buck. It was moving in and out nibbling at the grass but not in a shootable position.

Silent and I exited my 4x4 and got our gear ready, we were both set up off the bonnet of my truck waiting and watching the Buck.

After 5 mins or so it moved in to a clearing but further away from us, I pinged it with my Leica LRF800 and it was side on to us at 257 yards.

I asked Jamie if it is still safe to shoot ,and it was but he said if it moves to far out into the open it would not be safe.

I had it in my sights and all I could see was the Buck and a good back stop behind it.

I had dialed in the drop for 250 yards and took note of the wind , a slight right to left of a couple MPH. A small fire was giving off smoke to our right and confirmed my suspicions.

Jamie gave me the signal to take the shot when I was ready so I sent a 95 grain Berger which hit its mark.

I saw the Buck jump about 2 foot in the air and run a small circle of about 25 yards and come to a halt for 2 seconds and then fell on its side.....Jamie said the shot placement looked spot on , a classic `Heart and Lung shot`.

We walked to its location and found it laying as the picture below shows.

img1977uj0.jpg

We recovered the Deer back to the truck and took some more photo`s of me and my Roe Buck.

A huge `thank you` to my mate Silent for making it all possible...Cheers Jamie :lol:

My rifle.....Custom Rem 700 chambered in 6mm BR Norma / 95 grn Berger @ 2950.

img1980qj1.jpg

Good little write up, and nice shooting!

I'm really hoping the close season doesn't take too long to pass. I love stalking, but haven't done nearly enough of it yet! I think next year I'll try to make more time for it, as the experience can't be beaten IMO.

Well Martyn

All i can say is i am over the moon for you!!!! ;) ;)

A great write up , i was almost there with you guys!!!!!

Jamie has done us proud again!!!! :D;)

So Martyn stop yer grinnin and get that Barbie going!!!!!!!

savor the moment buddy and all the best..................

RAY............................................ :D;)

Hi

Well done Martin.What twist is your rifle and are the Berger bullets you are using match bullets. I am waiting for my rifle to come back with a new 6br barrel on it. I was thinking of using the 80 grain berger on the roe deer.

Dogfox

Archived