do you hunt for numbers

bigun

just thought id post this and to see who hunts for he numbers game ,i like to hunt foxs one or two a night does me with the rifle and about the same with the terriers , rabbit 30 plus a night is good but i will only do that number twice a year the norm is a few to keep the dogs and ferrets happy but the most iv shot was 500 rabbit in 3 days again with the air rifle but that was way up north not round were i live ,pigeon about 35 aday is about right but i have had larger bags 120+ , crow best yet was 71 crow for a mornings work which was good but the norm is about 45 in a morning and im happy with that ,tree rats i have shot up to 30 in a morning but that was a one off not bad going with the .22 pcp air rifle by my self . ;) but the norm is the odd one or two unless i go looking for them ..rats i like to shoot as many as i can if poss ;) they keep my eye in when shooting ..so what numbers make you happy are you like me that just take the few from time to time or do you go full bore at it ? lets see your pics as i know theres plenty out there that will blow mine away ..a few pics of good days out by me ;)

SP_A00912(Large).jpg

rabbitscarscot.jpg

discpics618.jpg

crows024(Large)(Medium).jpg

oldpicoffthedisc642.jpg

I don't hunt for numbers, I will shoot more than a normal session if the quarry is being a particular pest at the time and I have been asked to hit them hard, keeps the farmers or the Estate manager happy, but I still keep the numbers shot down to what I can freeze for the Ferrets or my own use.

Numbers don't do it for me, I prefur to go out and enjoy the moment everything else then is a bonus. I go out once or twice a week with a mate of mine (yes I do have one) and we will go out and sit about watching the world go by and maybe shoot one rabbit or we may shoot 81 rabbits it really doesn't matter how many we get. I have gone out and shot just a few rabbits at night and on other occasion we have had them in the hundreds, same with pigeons and crows, who cares about the numbers when you have so much around you that you can enjoy especially when you live down here in Gods own country.

I have done the numbers and for me it just dosn't do it and it spoils the enjoyment.

It turns it all into a job ;)

Walking about with 2 or 3 rabbits on your back is fine but when you have 50 to round up tucked behind walls etc it spoils it for me.

Prefer the challenge of an awkward spot than just mass slaughter and pose pictures to follow.

Guest wireviz

[Well i have chased the foxes collecting pelts when they would give a reasonable return and also sold rabbits at 3 for a pound to the game dealer but i like the numbers game to be left to the hungry young lads i will take quality over quantity any day.

th_DSCF0737.jpg

th_DSCF0199.jpg

I don't like to shoot huge numbers. Anything that gets that serious loses its appeal to me. Obviously if a farmer is having a real problem with something I'll make a point of going out more often, but I'm usually happy as long as I get something. I even enjoy going out and getting nothing, as long as the weather is nice and I spot a few interesting things.

I know some on here shoot purely for pest control, but none of my farms have that big a pest problem. If they did, maybe things would have to change.

up scotland some years ago on this 180,000 acer est it was coverd in rabbits that were eatting all the grass ,but there was only small patchs of grass about and the rabbits were makeing the most of it insted of the deer .i shot 57 rabbits in one hour there was that many ,when i got home i never went out shooting for weeks if not months ,as the norm round my way was 5 or 6 in a mornings stork..it spoilt me, it was not hunting it was culling, not the same i tell thee but still good fun ..vim the old pics are all ways the best ones :lol: vim you best empty your freezer for the big photo :lol: spoil us and show us yours ..pics that is ;)

looks a nice bit of ground you had there vim ;) i think you will need a big gun to reach the top of that gong :lol:

heres afew to match yours vim ;)

rabbits008LargeLarge.jpg

Guest martin
It use to be "good" ground Blob not no more.. Just oot of intrest how far do you take that Rapid out too? I`m going by the scope you see ;)

VimMutt.jpg

It,s got a night vision add on hasn't it,and a sun shade(making it look very long)............Martin.

it was my mates rifle i just picked it up for the pic ..mine was a far better rifle :lol:

nice going foxhunter :lol: you must have some cracking ground to get a haul like that ..

I have taken 150 rabbits a night in the past when a golf course had a problem but these days 20 or 30 is enough with maybe an odd fox chucked in. Killing for the sake of killing has never really appealed to me. Thats why I hardy shoot at all between the end of January and early May.

A

the rabbits you guys get to shoot is unreal, I have never seen rabbits like that, I am lucky if I go out and get 5 rabbits, thats what I would call a good night. If I shot 2-3 rabbits in a night I would go home as that would be enough for me usually. I would never shoot more that 3 foxes in a night either. As for crows etc I just keep shooting until they stop coming same goes for rats. I have shot a fair few rats in a night with the nv setup and air rifle, dont shoot rats anymore though it used to be great fun sitting in a chicken shed in pitch black but I have lost the nerve for it now had one 2 many run over my foot.

I cant get over the amounts of rabbits you must have over there, I have heard of a lot here in places but never seen that much, about 10 years ago there was a bit of a plauge, I wasnt into shooting them at that time but I still dont think it would be the plauge proportions like you guys have, think it would be great craic shooting 100 rabbits in a night, though I am sure the novelty would wear off after a few nights of it.

There arn't that many areas that are shot on a regular basis that have those sort of numbers. With my golf course job they had all sorts of people chasing them with airguns. lurchers and shotguns to little real effect. A moderated semi in the evening's soon got into them, not that good when dark as they were generally lamp shy. Then they decided to rabbit fence all the way round, the new pest control guy ferreted all year. In his first year he had 5000, ferreting every day to a moderated 20 bore. I had 1500 with a rimmy, in the second year I averaged about 6 a night. gave it up in the end, my 4x4 was doing more damage than the rabbits.

Start hitting them with a centerfire and they soon dissappear. Big numbers normally mean a history of not much effective shooting.

A

Archived