ppc usa

huntsman

1894sunday_pic1.jpg

Nearly a very nice 5 shot grp this evening with the hornady 58 grs. Just pulled the third shot which spoiled it. tried 70 gr sp hornady sxt and bergers -68gr varmint hp (these where promising).

A couple of questions for the audience;

1. I seem to be getting quite a bit of powder residue on the cases is this anything to worry about? The primers and cases look perfect , why does this occur? (sako brass).

2. how high a charge can i go for the following;

70 gr soft point hornady

68 gr berger hp varmint

58 gr hornady ball.tip

I know that people generally don't like to give this info in case of an accident, but I not into taking chances just would perfer to known my limits.

Only the published data and the internet figures all seems so variable, most is geared to those shooting tight necked benchrest rifles etc.

I have been told here before that i should be loading a higher charge than I am, but the 26gr of vit seems to be working fairly well. I now have a better area to practice so am looking forwad to a bit of load development.

Finally I am doing all my practice and hunting with a T8, I like the lack of recoil and abily to maintain the target view after the shot.

3. Generally speaking do people find that the "can" improves/disimproves your rifle and its accuracy?

Thanks

Dave.

Dave,

The T8 is the best thing i have put on my .222 & .270. With the .222 you stay on target and see the bullet strike, and it has tamed the .270 a lot, but i still lose the sight picture due to recoil, but it's not as bad :lol: And it sure helps improve my accuracy

Dave as i would expect your are getting fantastic groups with the 58 v-maxs , as you know i NOW have a 270 neck on my sako but before new barrel it was the standard SAKO 6PPC USA and i used SAKO 6PPC USA brass.......

Now you know what i am going to say .. BE CAREFULL AND WORK UP LOAD CAREFULLY AS PRESSURES ARE DIFFERENT IN DIFERENT RIFLES.............

Now back to load data in my standard SAKO 6PPC USA with SAKO 6PPC USA brass............

58 V-MAX ---- 28 grains of viht N133 with bullet kissing the lands............. = 3300 fps / no pressue signs and clean case and the normal powder resedue just around top of neck.........

65 V-MAX ---- 28 grains of viht N133 with bullet kissing lands................ = 3200 fps / no pressure signs and clean case and the normal powder resedue just around top of neck.......

70 HORNADY SRIRE POINT ...........28 .5 grains of BENCHMARK powder with bullet kissing lands ............. / no presssure signs and clean case and the normal powder resedue just around top of neck.........

68 BERGER MEF .......... 28 grains of VIHT N133 with bullet kissing the lands ............. . no pressure signs and clean case with normal powder resedue around top of neck...............

These are just my worked up loads in my STANDARD SAKO 6PPC USA / SAKO 6PPC USA cases...............

Now with the case being covered by alot of powder resedue - it could be the case not obiturating properly....

As you work your loads up you should see this disapear and have the normal powder resedue around top of neck.....

( 26 grains of VIHT N133 is quite a low charge in the sako case )...........

Let us know how you get on.......................

Oh yes as with moderators and in my experince with rifles , they do make them the same or if not - better -- I know that using a reflex on me 6.5-284 i can still spot me shots at 500yds +...............

Hope i have been of some help............

All the very best................

RAY........................... :P:lol:

hi dave,

As as varminter said and as i have said you are on the low side??? 28 grains for a 58g bullet is considerd a mild load???, i am running mine at 29.5grain of vit 133,, this load i would consider to be as high as i would go???,, running at 3450 fps,,,, PLEASE WORK UP YOUR LOADS AS AS RAY SAID EVERY GUN IS DIFFERANT????? if the bolt gets hard to lift!! back of your load half a grain????

if the primers start to crater or worst still blow??? back of???

I have found the 6mm ppc to be one of the easyist to load for, small changes in powder or seating lenth can alter the pressure,,,

also some bullets even thou they are all 6mm can measure differant, as some have what is called a pressure ring at the base of the bullet!!!!

the load that i have used for the last two years for all of my foxing and long range bunnie busting has been 28.5g of vit 133, 65g ballistic tips just kissing the rifling!!! 100yrd zero 1.8" drop at 200yrds and 7to8" drop at 300,, cracking load<<<< and it will shoot bloody awesome groups

now dave if you would like to part with some of them berger mef bullets i have got some barts 68g ultra,s if you would like to try some as a straight swop?????

dave,, if you want some more loads give me a shout and i will post them all???? i am now in my 3rd year with my ppc!!!! all the best from wales f2n

dave,

I have just noticed that you are using sako brass??? this brass has less case capacity than lapua???? so 28g of vit 133 would be about your best load!!!!

26.6 grains of vit 130 is another good load that i use????

if you want to move on to lapua cases, you can get all the info that you will need off this site as there are a few of us who use the 6mm ppc round???

all the best f2n :lol:

Archived