STEYR PRO HUNTER

My wife has a Steyr Prohunter in 223 (the lightweight Mountain variety) and we've just measured the twist at 1:9" so it should be good for heavier bullets (say up to 69g Matchkings).

If I sound a little vague on this it's because there's a story attached. My wife had a neck injury some years ago and was having difficulty with heavier guns. At the time I was shooting Sporting Rifle comps and she thought it looked fun. I took her to Sportmans at Paignton with the idea of 'persuading' her to buy a Prohunter as I thought i) it would be just right for her and ii) I fancied having a go with one. Before I had a chance to 'steer' her she saw one on the shelf and that was it, love at first sight.

Sadly her neck's not so good and she's only put about 50 rounds through it so I can't give you a comprehensive set of potential loads for it. However I can say it shoots with at least acceptable accuracy - I'm sure if we developed a proper load for it it would shoot well but I can't actually prove it at this time. I really like the gun and reckon it's about ideal for field work; lightweight, pre-threaded and no shiny bits. I particularly like the safety system and would say that this is about the only rifle I would be comfortable carrying with a live round up the spout. The safety is also noiseless to take off.

A really good gun. If you're interested in a lightly-used second hand one I'll have a word with the missus to see if she's ready to part with it.

Cornishman

Archived