Last minute Doe's

Took a friend out this afternoon to try and catch up with some Does before the end of the season. I dedided on a piece of the ground that hasn't been stalked this season. We got to the ground for about 17.00 and sat having a coffee in the landy. One geared up we set off across a grass park heading for the edge of a very large forrest. We made out way down the edge untill we come to a big valley the that comes out the forrest. We crept in to within 200 yards of the velley bottom and sat tight letting the light fade a little. After about 20 mins i small vixenabout 250 yards out and heading our way. I told Ian and he was wanting to have it (he hasnt shot a fox in daylight before :rolleyes:).

Well i squeeked to get her to stop but she wouldnt so we let her walk right past us withing 60 yards and into the plantation behind us. With that i spotted a Doe come out of the valley bottom and on closer inspection she was heading our way while grazing in between the snow patches. She got to approx 130 yards and with Ian on the rifle he squeezed off the shot. The biest took to her heels and ran back up the valley. A quick re-load and he was following her in the scope. As a typical deer does she stopped for a quick glance back and again the 22.250 round was in flight. This time there was a small thud and again she was on the run. I couldnt believe it, all the time im watching through the new bins and she never reacted like a hit animal.

Anyway we went down to were the first shot was fired and looked for blood in the snow. Nothing was seen so we headed further out to the second shot point and there in the snow was a handful of hair and one small spec of blood. We tracked her up the stream for maybe 75 yards following food steps and blood trails and there she was. This was when Ian informs me that the first miss was a neck shot. The second shot was placed just in behind the leg and took out her heart and lungs. It must have been the adrenalin of the first shot that made her run for the hills.

Anyway after a quick Gralloch and loaded her into the Roe sack we turned to head back when Ian spotted two brown lumps out in the Field. Grabbing his rifle of my back and getting steady on a fallen tree trunk i confirmed it was a doe and last years buck kid. Walking out from the wood at 240 yards they were non the wiser. I chambered the next round and squeezed one off. She managed a few steps and it was all over. The kid stood there for maybe 25 seconds but with the roe sack already filled with one and another laying in the field we called it a day. Its a mile and a half walk back and with two roe it was going to be hard enough :unsure: .

We headed back to the larder and cleaned the biests up before hanging them.

A nice stalk and one to remember for the season.

A very happy loon, even though he fluffed the first shot.

DSC00303.jpg

Ian doing the Gralloch. Well no point getting my hands bloody :unsure: .

DSC00304.jpg

Ads

Just had a look at that last picture, if it wasnt for the knife in his hand you might wander what the hell he is doing to that poor doe ?. :rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

Archived