Foxing in the snow

auquhollie

Sitting in the house last night and about half eight i decided to give a good friend a call and see if he fancied a spot of Lamping. He was at my door within 15 mins and using his remmy 700 22.250 we were off out the door.

Went round a few Sheep farms as they are starting to lamb this week. Nothing was really doing so a few bunnies were taken at ranges out to about 230-250 yards. We decided on one last farm before we called it a night. Within 5 mins of getting to the farm we spotted an orange set of eyes in a turnip (well eaten) field with some sheep in it. Stopping the Landy i put Ian's rifle out the window to have a closer look. It was a fox, and a big bugger at that. The field it-self is elevated from the access track and getting into him was going to be hard.

I was sitting for maybe ten mins watching him while he was feeding on a dead sheep. I could see him pulling chunks from the carcass and munching it down. After maybe 15 mins Ian commented, are you going to shoot the F---ink thing or are we moving on. The fox looked to be approx 300-350 yards, he was on the side of a hill so safe shot. The wind was coming from behind and with the scope set 1" high @100 yrds i put the cross hair 1/4 way down his chest (broadside) and squeezed off the shot. No thud was heard but the fox looked to slump to his feet. His eyes were still litt up and i was thinking he had flapped not wanting to leave his newly found meal. After a smoke and ten mins he hadnt moved an inch and his lights had now gone out so we decided to go have a look.

We drove out the field we were in and up the track and across the grass field into the Turnip field. We spotted the dead sheep and curled up next to him with a new born lamb hanging out his mouth was old charlie (mother must have died giving birth). The V Max entered just half way down the body (another fag was now needed to celebrate) ;) .

Well woke up this morning and headed straight up to ping him with the range finder. I followed my landy tracks in the snow and ranged the dead sheep, 406 yards on the nose. The longest ive ever shot at night and not with my custom 6mm AI but with an out the box VSSF in

.22-250. Could not believe it last night.

I have been looking for a callibre to 1 for 1 for my 17 HMR and i think i have just found it. No recoil means a great strike picture and at that range it was stone dead.

A good night was had by both and a problem fox was taken out. Result.

Adam :lol:

Well done pard, when I was first looking for a centerfire I was toying with the 22-250 but ended up with a 223, but even now after all this time I see my mate shooting his 22-250 and I sonetimes wonder if I made the right choice ;) I guess the only good thing is my barrel will last longer, but when it needs replacing well who knows :lol:

Yeah,

Ive pulled off some gobsmacking shots with the 243 AI but on the 4 or 5 occasions i have shot both my mates

(yeah i have two of them ;) ) remmy vssf rifles in 22.250 i have wanted one. Nice accurate straight shooting rifle with no recoil. And easy and cheap to reload for.

Decision made :lol: .

Ads

Guest varmartin

Very well done, its a good feeling when you pull off a shot like that.

With a nice flat shooting calibre like 22.250 some awesome shots are possible when you do your homework.

22.250 is a true foxing rifle ,far better than the .223 ...good shot, 400+ yards is very very good for a night shot . ;)

Hello Adam good work hope your not taking some foxing work from me as im waitting for the lambing to pull them out as im off for 2weeks & will be doing some early mornings sit outs on the farm i shoot up there. I aint seen a fox in ages but saw a pair up there a week or so but i still aint shot a fox this year. Used to get a fox garenteed up there every time i went up but this past couple years & when 1 farm stopped the breeding pigs it slowed down hellish.

Barry,

I had a dog fox of there last night and two last monday night. I have all the farms that surround the Blairs and im shooting a fair few of those farms so it will be having a knock on effect. I shot a big dog fox of one of them farms last week and ide say it was the biggest fox ive ever seen let alone shot. Since i took on the shooting of Blairs according to the wee black book ive shot 17 foxs and i started shooting the year Emslie stopped the pig's.

You had any roe of there lately ?.

Ads

Archived