advice before purchase

hunter87

I have decided to get a Steiner FFP scope that I can use out to 1000 on my .308 sako TRG for informal target shooting but before I spend any money I'd like to get some advice regarding magnification from you guys

I have a few questions

How much magnification do I really need to do the job? how much is over kill? below are a few options I have to choose from

Steiner range

3-12x50

3-12x56

4-16x50

5-25x56

Really apperate any advice thanks

25x is about the minimum-but it depends on the size of your aiming mark-you have to be able to see it! The Diggle Egg Shoot is at a hen's egg,500y away!

Consider the reticule too-if too thick it will obscure the smaller aiming marks-that might add inches to your group-does that matter to you?

1000 y BR has about 1/2 moa aiming mark-a big orange-40x won't be an embarrassment for that,though you might need quite good visibility to make use of it-variable is more flexible.One way to get an idea is to put out aiming marks (pro rata for size/distance) and just try any scope.If you are shooting at large targets,like falling men,you might be happy with less than 25x. Trend is for more mag,though,not less-see the March range among top competitors,50x and on up...80x.

Less than 25x will be a handicap at 1000y,and anything beyond 500...no doubt some have shot with less,but no doubt too,they would have done better with more.

Gbal

I use a 4-16 PM2 on my 308 and only a 5.5-22 NXS on my 300rum but I don't shoot 'f' class but both scopes were sufficient to hit coke tins at 1200yds ?

Have you thought about Sightron I use a 32x on my shehane out to 1000 no worrys I think it may be a bit fine ret for night shooting though.

V

you are better to buy a scope with more mag if you find you don't need it just turn it down simples better to have more mag than you need than not enough

you are better to buy a scope with more mag if you find you don't need it just turn it down simples better to have more mag than you need than not enough

I agree with gunnery better to have more mag than not enough mate.......rem

Archived