Bore solvents in a stainless barrel

njc110381

I put this question on another forum and got little response. As this seems to be a forum for keen rifle shooters I thought I may get more luck.

I've heard that ammonia based copper solvents can damage stainless barrels. Up until now I use Tetra cleaner, as it seems very good. I usually leave it five minutes then patch it out with napier gun spray and then dry patch. Will this cause me any long term issues with my stainless Tikka? There are non ammoniabased cleaners, but they don't seem anywhere near as good :D

Guest varmartin

I have left a drop of Butches and Shooters choice Extra strength on a piece of barrel stub for 24 hours , cleaned it off and could not see a mark with my eyes.

I put this question on another forum and got little response. As this seems to be a forum for keen rifle shooters I thought I may get more luck.

I've heard that ammonia based copper solvents can damage stainless barrels. Up until now I use Tetra cleaner, as it seems very good. I usually leave it five minutes then patch it out with napier gun spray and then dry patch. Will this cause me any long term issues with my stainless Tikka? There are non ammoniabased cleaners, but they don't seem anywhere near as good :D

this is copied from lilja web sit. and i must say he knows more about barrels than most.

Q. What does Lilja Rifle Barrels think of the use of bore solvents with ammonia?

A. While we're aware of "bad press" associated with the use of cleaners with ammonia as part of the solution, we have never seen any damage in one of our barrels caused by the use of ammonia. The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again, I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes examination with our borescope. return_top.gif

http://www.riflebarrels.com/faq_lilja_rifl...els.htm#Ammonia

so i would say no ammonia Will not pit your barrel. i have all so left butchers bore shine in the barrel over night and longer.

and that rifle was one of the best shooting factory rifles i have ever seen.and still is.

but having said all that,the only thing i would say is ALWAYS FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE

ATB

Colin :D

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stop worrying about it then. It's not like I even shoot the 6.5 very much so it should be fine.

Cheers,

Neil

Interesting... I use VMS jacket fowling remover. It says on the bottle that it will damage nickel plating and "may" etch stainless if used excessively.

The stuff is ammonia based and will stop a charging moose when the lid is removed.... Keeps the wife outta the kitchen when i'm cleaning.. :D

Archived