new rifle advice sought please,which calibre and twist

527vamint

ok guys looking at sending my licence in to add some more rifles for target work and deer. Been shooting rifles for around two years now and home loading for the .223 for around a year now. currently I am shooting 25m-100m with the .22lr and shooting 100m-300m with the .223. I would like to do some longer distance work maybe at diggle.

I currently have

Cz 455 a varmint .22lr fitted with a boyds non thumbhole stock for 25m indoor work and vermin.

Cz 527 varmint 1/9 twist .223 with the Kevlar stock for target and fox. shooting 52g amax and 60g hornandy tap.

What I was looking at is a .308 or a 6.5x55 with a heavy barrel and a 10 shot mag for comps as I am at a big disadvantage with the .223 as I only have 5 shot mags, as 10 are not available and we do 10 shots in one minute. I need to get the twist rate right as unsure with the mentioned calibres. I nearly got it right with the .223 but wont shot 69g or heavier, shoots 40g-60g very well factory and home loads but wont group 69g, this could be to do with the bedding, which I will get sorted soon.

Also a un scoped service rifle with iron sights for the other comps that I cant do at the moment think .303 and .762 are the used but unsure.

Any advice would be good as I am a relative novice, I have put a lot down the range though and I am doing quite well at the moment

after developing some good home loads for the .223 and finding good .22lr ammo.

Cheers Andy

Archived