Barrel Length for my 700 Police

Hi Folks,

This may have been done before and i hope you guys can help. Im currently running a 26 inch barrel in .308. I'm looking to shorten it a bit and i dont know how far to go. I've read loads about folk using 20" barrels and indeed the new Accuracy Int AT at the shooting show was in a 20". ( i have mine in an aics stock kit) i had initially been thinking 24 but from what ive read 20 or 22 wouldnt do it any harm. i dont think i will get the chance to shoot out past 800 yards and the club range maximum is 600yards. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Hi Folks,

This may have been done before and i hope you guys can help. Im currently running a 26 inch barrel in .308. I'm looking to shorten it a bit and i dont know how far to go. I've read loads about folk using 20" barrels and indeed the new Accuracy Int AT at the shooting show was in a 20". ( i have mine in an aics stock kit) i had initially been thinking 24 but from what ive read 20 or 22 wouldnt do it any harm. i dont think i will get the chance to shoot out past 800 yards and the club range maximum is 600yards. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

You will lose 25-30 fps approx per inch,probably more per inch below 22" That won't help,but isn't critical at 600. It will make 800 even more challenging.

Gbal

Archived