243 Barrel Length

Mike357

Following on from a previous question about calibre, what would you suggest as a good compromise for 243 barrel length especially if I wanted to really stretch it say shooting 115DTACS?

I'd like a compact set up but don't want to sacrifice too much long range capability.

MIke,the 243 with 115 Dtacs needs 3065 fps to be fully competitive (6.5/142/2950;or 7/175/2800).It is capable on hot top loading of more than that....

But compromise is always tricky-go below 3000+ and you are clearly losing some edge...I would think every inch of barrel below 25 inches costs 30 fps, so 18-20 inches is too short,24 might be acceptable-remember the above figures are for competitive shooting at national league level.Below that,only you can call the compromise that is acceptable. The 6mm will have noticeably lesser recoil,which might help shoot a little better (and shorter barrel life,but that does not affect shootability).

One solution is no compromise on the long ranger,because you need all you can get,and buy a cheap,short,light foxer,where it matters much less,and such may actually be better anyhow,and handle/perform effectively,overall,in a cab etc-and that can matter-when it doesn't,use the long ranger.

Gbal

Archived