some shooting from last week

craigyboy

Just thought I would put up some of last weeks shooting, the weather was rough but I got out a couple of times, with the nights drawing out i was able to get out after work for a dander around the woods with the shotgun, I love being in the woods an hour before dark, birds flying in everwhere I shot about 6 pigeons but as you can see from the photo I had stayed to damm near pitch black and couldnt find everything managed 2 magpies and a greyback crow as well, the wind was howling and it covered the sound of my shots well so everthing just kept coming. I went back to pick up the pigeons the next day but foxing scrote had his way with them which I sort of expected.Good fun.

DigitalCamera066.jpg

Got out at the foxes as well on a decent night weather wasnt too bad, we saw a whole pile of foxes mostly in pairs and if we had of had the shotgun we would have had a fair few of them as we were on the mountain ground which is very short range stuff and not really for the C/F rifle but we had not planned on covering this ground to start with it just sort of happend, get them next time. Anyway onto some more open ground and we saw this fox about 400 yards away, tried calling him but he wouldnt come so we turned off the lamp and got a little closer, we got to 280 yards and turned the lamp on, he was headin for the hegde line and I thought we were gonna lose him but the mate on the lamp shouted and I qoute "stop you bas@*]d" he stopped long enough for me to put the cross hair about a inch above his back and give him 2 inches for the wind, sent a 32g v-max into his lungs, just were I wanted, dropped him perfect, not a twicth. I had sort of stopped foxing for now but this farmer had lost 3 lambs and asked me too have a look with the lamp, looks like I will have to go back and clear up the rest of them, a friend had been lamping it but he was only using a .22mag and reckoned he had all the foxes cleared up :rolleyes: ,

DigitalCamera067.jpg

ps it was a dog fox

Yeah geoff its a pes, it looks big under that cammo sleeve but its actually only 6 1/2 inches long and weighs I reckon about 350g, nice and light to carry and works well enough.

Good shooting Fella,

I take it from your post you prefer to give your foxes quiet time to breed. Us lads in North Wales here don't let up on them at all, we still shoot around the same number every year.

Keep up the good work,

Jay.

Hi Jay, I give them time where I can, if its crop or cattle ground I leave them be but on sheep ground I sometimes still have to just to keep the farmer happy, though I try and get the most of them cleared up before the end of feburary but there is always one casuing a nusience, I dont shoot on any estates so I dont have to worry about poults.

Archived