SIGHTRON II 36X42

FOXANDY

only just realized after i had wrote it sorry, looking for good scope for 17hmr hows 4x16x42 nikon ? & while were on subject 223 scopes as well ,bear with me im learning slowly, very slowly.

The 17hmr is essentially a 200y cartridge,for small vermin (200 because its drop/drift is about 8/15 inches....

36 is way too much magnification in a fixed power scope. I think you might appreciate a variable 4-16,or a bit more,but I would not go above 6-24.

But choice of mag and reticule etc can be quite subjective-try a few different ones at 100-200 yards-on any rifle,at varmint size targets and see what you feel comfortable with.

The 223 is good for 300y,and quite a bit more with fast twist barrel etc-the same applies-try different reticles and power,but many can make use of 6-24,maybe a bit more.Low mag gives wide field of view,but relatively thick reticule usually,and simply smaller view of the target-if you hope to place a shot with precision,more mag won't be a disadvantage-and with small targets,might be a real advantage....remember of course seeing is one ting,hittingis quiteanother (wind eg) but a precise aimpoint does no harm at all!

Only you can decide what you like.So long as it's a variable,you can always lower the mag-you can't increase a fixed small power one! And a fixed high power (like 36x) will prove very limiting,eg in poorer light/small field of view-it's virtues are for eg 100y bench rest,where a reticule that obscures 1/4 inch of aimpoint is a handicap!

You can try different scopes on whatever rifle-but bear in mind your rifle's effective range (200max).

When I shot 222/17 a lot (250y cartridges) I found 6-24 about right,but used the higher mags far more than the lower ones.Others seem to feel 6/8/12x is as much as they can handle.....I can't shoot 200y with any confidence at 8x -at a pinch,just enough for a big tin can,but I feel handicapped,but prefer 24x. If the target is large-say a 30x18 inch falling man military,and a hit anywhere will do,and it needs engaging fast,then 12x is good,,but otherwise,more x is better,for me.Only you can decide where you feel best....

Plenty choice out there,adequate quality without mega expense.

Gbal

HI SAKO GBAL SORRY GOT DISTRACTED thanks for info i mostly do head shots (bunnies) at moment just upgrading to bigger and better things much appreciated thanks again.doug allready got click/ wind card for nikon if i put one on my 17 varmint so i will be looking for one ,maybe two now cheers. :D disstraction bloody chokes on my 686. :angry:

Archived