Case trimming length

shooter79

Evening gents

Just got a curious question regarding case length?

I know that the minimum length is 2.005 for .308 Win and the maximum is 2.015 however are group sizes increased due to different lengths?

I know the longer ones will have more surface area holding the bullet in place which should increase pressures but will i notice any significant changes?

I have measured my chamber with a chamber gauge and my cases could grow to a length of 2.044 as a max, is it advisable to let them grow this large instead of hacking back the brass potentially weakening the case mouth?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Carl.

I do not believe that there will be a direct correlation between case length and group sizes. There are more important issues to be addressed in obtaining the best accuracy out of your rifle, eg bullet seating depth, powder charge etc. As for the issue of pressure v case length. Yes I think there will be but it will be so minimal I wouldn't worry about it.

More importantly I would definitely not let my cases grow to the length of 2.044 but just trim them to somewhere around 2.015. Again I would not be too worried if you trim to 2.005, 2.010, 2.015 or even 2.020, as it is just an arbitrary figure and you will be someway off of the maximum which is desirable.

Archived