Twist rates

After the last post I'm a little stuck on twist rates for my .223. I have a choice depending on what gun I get of 1-9 or 1-12. I know the 1-9 can handle heavier bullets. I also know that fast twist rates can blow up really light bullets if they're driven too fast.

So to keep it simple for me, what are the rough ideal weight ranges for both?

Cheers,

Neil

Edited to say I know it's length rather than weight if we need to be picky, but I'm after a rough guide of weights ;)

I have a 1 in 12 and Millpool has the 1 in 9 these are both CZ's and his rifle was shooting a 1/4 inch group with the same load as I gave you so there really doesn't seem to be anything in it, get the rifle that you like the look and feel of best and go play with it ;)

my cz527 kevlar with 9 twist loves 52gr a-max but can handle the 75 a-max too, shoots sub 3/4" at 100with 75's and can do sub 1/4 with 52

if you go with a fast twist the chances are you will be able to shoot mid weight's such as 52-55 but will still be able to shoot 69-75

go with a slow twist and you might just have to stick to light to medium instead of medium to heavy

I want to use 35-40 grain V-Max or similar most of the time. Maybe 50 grain if I need to make it Deer legal at any point. If I need more weight behind it than that, I'll use the 6.5x55. It sounds like the 1-12 would be better for me. Thanks for the replies ;)

Archived