Heavy or standard barrel

Right guys. I think I've decided what I want regarding rifle make (CZ), but now I'm having the same old issue with whether I want a heavy or standard barrel? I'm going to be shooting mainly Rabbits and Fox with a moderator fitted, so the heat issue isn't such a big thing but weight is. I will also like to have a bit of a go at 300 yard targets with it at the range sometimes, although Rabbits and Fox will probably account for 90% of use.

One major consideration is the moderator. If I get the standard profile barrel I could use the same mod on the .223 and 6.5x55. That would help the scope budget a lot.

I don't know what to get! I'm happy to go out and spend more/carry a heavier rifle if it's going to gain me a lot in accuracy, but would rather not if the standard profile is good enough :rolleyes:

just read your post about triggers

dont worry about the trigger on the cz527

get the gun then give me a call and I will talk you through it (adjusting)

dont pay someone to do it, do it yourself

I have done quite a few of the now and can tell you that a top bench rest shooter would love the feel of the trigger

when adjusted right they are as good as it gets

I agree with silent, if youre going for a cz and a .223 the kevlar is very nice, I nearly bought one last year, tiny rifle pretty light feeling and nice looking. I shot a varmint laminate 527 on the range last month I was using el cheapo magtech 5.56 ammo, 8 quid for 50 rounds, she was shooting around 3/4 inch at 100 yards, so there would be no question that a good handload would nearly cut that in half.

I took Millpool out one night foxing, he had a .222 and a space for .223 on his ticket, this particular night he was low on rounds for his .222 so he had ago with my .223 it was blowing a 10 -15mph wind and I called a fox to 160yds but it would come no further. I told him the hold over and windage and he dropped the fox pretty, this lead him to get rid of his .222 and buy a .223 CZ and he is well please. This lead Silentsouls, to but one and he is making a small bit of moss dance across a field at (I think he said) 800 + yds. this has a light sporter barrel and a Kevlar stock a 1 in 9 twist and they are using 25g Benchmark powder and a 52gr A-Max. PM Silent he will be glad to help you out. I have the CZ (bog standard wood stock no trigger job) and a 1 in 12, I am shooting approx .228" @ 100yds with 50g V-Max and 25.2 gr Benchmark these rounds are all set at sammi spec.

These two groups were shot at 100yds off a large bale the first was with out a mod and the second (the small group) with a T8 mod

dscf0985lr3.jpg

i have the cz heavy barrel varmint in .223 with the h.s presion stock in kevlar ,silent did the trigger job on it ,as nigel said using 52grn a max with 25 grn benchmark with SAMMI LENGTH BULLETS 2.200 C,O,L it is shooting sub qtr m.o.a ,awsomw rifle ! and thanks to silent and nigel ,it is shooting like a dream !!, silent tried mine and went out and bought one!! so they must be good!! :rolleyes::unsure:

There are a lot of supporters of the kevlar model here! I was looking at the standard wood model with the heavy barrel, it's my favourite. The kevlar is ok, but I'm a real traditional type. Is the wood stock model ok, as I'd really prefer that one unless it's no good!

Must agree with silent that his CZ does shoot sweet and with a nice trigger job makes it all that sweeter!!!!!!

All the best....................

RAY....................................... :unsure::rolleyes:

There are a lot of supporters of the kevlar model here! I was looking at the standard wood model with the heavy barrel, it's my favourite. The kevlar is ok, but I'm a real traditional type. Is the wood stock model ok, as I'd really prefer that one unless it's no good!

well mine shoots just fine with the wood stock as you can see from the above pic.

well mine shoots just fine with the wood stock as you can see from the above pic.

I take it yours is the wood model Varmint, not the standard barrel job?

I hada say that the varmint laminate I shot was super sexy the owner caught me on when he seen me puttin ALOT of lube in the back of the reciever, of course I was just making sure the bolt lugs didnt gall ;) .

Archived