cooper for the drive

dogfox

Hi

After a stressful day in work I throught that I would have a drive around with the cooper for a shot. or two.The first two shots. I missed ;) a rabbit at 330 yards (I did not dope the wind)and a easy crow).I then drove to a spot where I normally see a rabbit or two.

As I pulled up there was a crow at 290 yards acroos the field.I adjusted the scope and bang,splat one dead crow :).I then spotted a rabbit at 200 yards and I aimed at his head.Splat number 2 kill and it was head shot (honest) ;).I then waited a little bit longer and number 3 turned up at 262 yards.So I had 3 kills for 5 shots.I forgot to take a camera so no pics :( .but I am going back out later so I will see if I can get a few more for the photos ;) .

Neil

Guest varmartin

Good shooting Neil, these Coopers seem to be doing the business. I am going out with my sako 75 .223 in a bit so we will see how my baby performs

Martin...ps and I will take my camera also ;)

Hi

I just got back in after being out for an hour.I throught that I had more rounds for the 22 Br but it turned out that I only had 10 rounds left ;).I pulled up on the field and i saw some rabbits on a mound out on the fielddscn0580he7.jpg

I then shot 4 rabbits off the mound.The range was 220 yards out to 245 yardsdscn0582do6.jpg

I shot a few more rabbits and missed two and a magpie.I had by then run out of ammo and I was cursing for not bring out the 243AI.

Here is a photo of the crow I shot early in the evening at 290 yards.

dscn0583vh1.jpg

Thanks Neil

Guest varmartin

Good shooting Neil, you had a better evening than I .

I fired 6 rounds and only took 2 rabbits.

Had a stonking headache before and during the shooting session which did not help, even with ear muffs on the report of the rifle was painful. ;)

Got home and told the misses how I was feeling and she said I should get one of those "sound thingies" like Ray uses!!!

Ummmm a suppressor is now on the cards ;)

Martin

Hi

After a stressful day in work I throught that I would have a drive around with the cooper for a shot. or two.The first two shots. I missed :( a rabbit at 330 yards (I did not dope the wind)and a easy crow).I then drove to a spot where I normally see a rabbit or two.

As I pulled up there was a crow at 290 yards acroos the field.I adjusted the scope and bang,splat one dead crow :D.I then spotted a rabbit at 200 yards and I aimed at his head.Splat number 2 kill and it was head shot (honest) :D.I then waited a little bit longer and number 3 turned up at 262 yards.So I had 3 kills for 5 shots.I forgot to take a camera so no pics :( .but I am going back out later so I will see if I can get a few more for the photos :lol: .

Neil

Good way to get rid of the stress Neil

Guest varmartin

Went to the range today to test some 75 Amax in the .223 and discovered why my sako75 was shooting all to hell the other night....The 60 V max were dropping in the target board 2 inches low and 1 inch left at 100 yards !!! May be the scope took a knock or the zero may have shifted when i removed action from the stock to dry it out.???

Reset the zero and checked all things were tight and continued to test the 75 Amax...same point of aim at 100 yards as 60 Vmax and nice tight little groups best about 1/2 MOA.

Started load of 23.5 grns Vhit 140 and increased to 25 grains in increments of 0.3 grns.. no signs of pressure up to 25 grns... Settled on a load of 24.7grns V140 in Lapua Match cases , CCI BR4 primers...nice little clusters...not stunning but consistent enough.

Please note this load is safe in my rifle but may not be safe in another rifle !!

will post again when tested on Varmints.

Martin

Hi

I just got back in after being out for an hour.I throught that I had more rounds for the 22 Br but it turned out that I only had 10 rounds left :lol:.I pulled up on the field and i saw some rabbits on a mound out on the fielddscn0580he7.jpg

I then shot 4 rabbits off the mound.The range was 220 yards out to 245 yardsdscn0582do6.jpg

I shot a few more rabbits and missed two and a magpie.I had by then run out of ammo and I was cursing for not bring out the 243AI.

Here is a photo of the crow I shot early in the evening at 290 yards.

dscn0583vh1.jpg

Thanks Neil

hmmmmm 22br sounds nice!!!!!!! give us some more info

Hi

The 22 Br is a necked down 6 Br case which is easy to do.Once through the 22 Br die, trim and away you go.It can drive a 50grain bullet as fast as 22.250 for less powder and it is as accurate as the 6BR.It uses a small rifle primer and brass is easy to find.I use 52 grain Amax bullets with Vit N135 powder.The load I use is not very fast 3342 FPS but it is very accurate.

There are very few factory rifle in 22Br but for the money the cooper is a brilliant buy.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

The 22 Br is a necked down 6 Br case which is easy to do.Once through the 22 Br die, trim and away you go.It can drive a 50grain bullet as fast as 22.250 for less powder and it is as accurate as the 6BR.It uses a small rifle primer and brass is easy to find.I use 52 grain Amax bullets with Vit N135 powder.The load I use is not very fast 3342 FPS but it is very accurate.

There are very few factory rifle in 22Br but for the money the cooper is a brilliant buy.

Neil

I would be very interested in your load data as I have a .22Br Rem -.247 neck - in a Husquavarna 1900 ation with a HK 1-10 twist barrel . I also purchased 500 52 gr Amax bullets recently. After shooting 6PPC in competition I will use Rem 71/2 primers in this caliber to start. I am using Rem 6 br brass as this is an older Benchrest spec chamber.

I find that the hard part is in deciding what to buy - you did a fine job in that Cooper.

Now I have to check on that rifle after reading this .I slightly galled the lugs recently checking seating dept and no lube on lugs with my three fire formed cases .So I sent this with a friend to visit his gunsmith as I don't have a lathe to properly fix this .

Glenn

I would be very interested in your load data as I have a .22Br Rem -.247 neck - in a Husquavarna 1900 ation with a HK 1-10 twist barrel . I also purchased 500 52 gr Amax bullets recently. After shooting 6PPC in competition I will use Rem 71/2 primers in this caliber to start. I am using Rem 6 br brass as this is an older Benchrest spec chamber.

I find that the hard part is in deciding what to buy - you did a fine job in that Cooper.

Now I have to check on that rifle after reading this .I slightly galled the lugs recently checking seating dept and no lube on lugs with my three fire formed cases .So I sent this with a friend to visit his gunsmith as I don't have a lathe to properly fix this .

Glenn

Hi Stonewall

I am using 52 grain amax with 28.1 grains of Vit N135.Lapua brass and cci match small rifle primers.It is doing 3342 FPS out of the cooper and doing ragged hole groups.I have driven the 52 grain faster( 3600 odd FPS),but the groups opened up so I am happy with this load.

I am very happy with the calibre and the rifle :D .

Archived