Advice required please - Reference cannelure bullets

Jamie

I was after some .224 Hornady 55 grain V-Max bullets a few days ago.

The only ones available at this particular RFD were the cannelure version.

I stated that I won't be using a crimp so would prefer the non cannelure. He went on to say that they could still be used anyway. And that both as accurate as each other anyhow.

Is this true? Or was he just trying to sell me what he had available??

Also, if they are less accurate with a cannelure, would I be able to notice the difference at 250 yards and under?

Thanks.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I use for stalking a .308 150g SST which have a cannelure and I find them to be very accurate

I used to use a 155 Nossler which does not have a cannelure and it was just as accurate.

Also on the SST the cannelure is about 30thou out of the case so no crimping.

Hope this helps

V

I was after some .224 Hornady 55 grain V-Max bullets a few days ago.

The only ones available at this particular RFD were the cannelure version.

I stated that I won't be using a crimp so would prefer the non cannelure. He went on to say that they could still be used anyway. And that both as accurate as each other anyhow.

Is this true? Or was he just trying to sell me what he had available??

Also, if they are less accurate with a cannelure, would I be able to notice the difference at 250 yards and under?

Thanks.

Jamie

HiJamie-with any bullet,to be sure you simply have to try it in your rifle.That said,cannelures were meant to give a little more bullet retention-eg in recoiling rifles and magazines,to ensure cartridge integrity ,particularly for hunting rifles aand esp self loaders which are quite rough on cartridges as they are slammed into the chamber.You won't see any on match bullets,but the difference,if any,in accuracy is likely to be very small.Buy a box,maybe reserve some more,if in short supply?

Gbal

Thanks for the replies both, much appreciated.

As you say Gbal, I need to give them a try and see.

atb

Jamie

When I started reloading for my K hornet, I used up some 40 gn bullets with cannelures, but didn't crimp them, then the new die came that I had on order, and I crimped the last few, There was no noticeable difference in accuracy. but as Gbal said, you will not know until you try some.

Regards Aj

Archived