The quickest and shortest shot of 2008.

6mmBR

Well guys we've had a good week. We went the other side of the estuary to meet up with Tudor who has a few farms he organises for us to do the fox control on.

Well we met up in a lay bye and Tudor jumped in with Brian and myself. We then sorted out a bit of a plan and decided to go up the mountain to a farm we have had a lot of success on.

Now a bit of the story about the quickest and shortest shot of 2008.

We arrived at the farm and parked on the edge of the road and walked into the farmyard. Now Tudor got a bit ahead of himself and started to climb the gate before Brian had the chance to turn the lamp on. Well Tudor was half way up the gate as the lamp went on and f**k me there was a fox 30yds away.

I shouted at Tudor to stay still, the fox looked up. I tried to aim the rifle but all I could see at 30yds was a blur of ginger fur ;) I pulled the trigger and bowled the fox over.

Well I was amazed we had only been out the car a minute. The fox must of been stupid as I fair old growled at Tudor to cease his gate climbing activities :) and to still get the fox at only 30yds :rolleyes:

So guys as we have learned the moral of the story is to take time and check fields first before crossing gates.

We walked on from here and we managed to call another fox out of a strip of woodland. This little bugger would not come out all the way and was hugging the fence line peering through at us. He stopped for a second and I took the shot and bowled him over.

So 2 in the bag we were happy

DSCF0405.jpg

Its funny though we seem to be stuck in a rut of dog foxes at the moment. The last 15 I've shot all being dogs. Perhaps the vixens are down holes preparing to give birth to young uns?

Well its been a good start to 2008 and I see alot of you other lads are having equal luck at the moment judging by the posts and photo's :blink:

Keep up the good work.

Happy lamping.

Dave

yeh your bang on there before you open the gate ect lamp over over the gate its alot less noise and more chance of seeing something to shoot at ,i had a mate who would lamp the next field before we got anywere near it ,.,its a big no no and told him so .. never lamp the gate ways before you open them that is a fact..if your by the road side foxs are used to light so your ok , for a short time before they run .

I have heard about you Swansea boys picking men up in laybyes :unsure::blink:

Glad to see your having a few dave :blink: its gone crazy down here at the mo the phone is red hot from the sheep farmers , will have to get you down when the cubs are about and give you some fun :blink:

Speak soon

Cheers Andy, your right there seems to be a glut of foxes this year in comparison to this time last year.

Will be in touch probably after I come back from the USA, we'll have a crack at some long range bunnies :D

Cheers

Dave

Archived