First Session with the LIGHTFORCE

kip270

Well i bought myself another new lamp the other day :lol: and last night was the first chance i had to try it out. I had also got my FAC back with Fox on there for the .270, so tonight(sunday)would be the first outing for Fox with it. ;)

The weather had cleared up, so we were off out there by 7.30pm. Dan was using the .22rim for bunnies, and i was lamp man and if any showed i would take any Foxes :P

As we turned off the road up to the farm, there was a van parked on the side of the road and a young boy got out with a whippet, so i stopped wound down my window and asked what they were up too, "What's it got to do with you??" came the reply from the father, "I have permission on all these fields and i hope you don't think your walking your dog there"!!! "i was going too" he said, "Well i hope not because i will be lamping this field with my rifle" ;) , "so put your dog back in the van and drive away" . But i bet he'll be back ;)

The first field and there were a load of bunnies out there, a bit out of range for the .22, so we headed off after them. Dan managed to bag one, a good head shot, so we were off to a good start, but then the rabbits seemed to be lamp shy??

Scanning around we had a good field of view of the adjacent fields, when i spotted a set of eyes in the furthest field, a definite fox as there was no other livestock in that field, and it was heading into the wood. We made a bee-line for that field, and when we were getting closer the Fox started calling :D which i thought was a bit late, but none the less, it was calling and for a while too. Scanning the field and the wood we failed to spot anything, so thought the Fox had made it's way through the wood and out into the fields on the other side of the wood, so we headed off in an attempt to cut it off.

We got into the filed on the other side of the wood and no sooner had we got into the filed we heard it calling again, and we had a good idea where it would be, so at a double quick Pace we were off, Dan was lagging behind ;) (no stamina), on with the lamp and there was the fox at around 120yards, but was off like a rocket without stopping.

Then Dan swung the lamp round and there was another one, but that was off like a rocket too????

So far we had seen 3 foxes, but not one gave us a chance of a shot ;)

Dan and i were a bit cheesed off, but at least none had been missed, so we slowly made our way through a small wood that brought us out onto a nice valley, as soon as we were through the gateway, i had a look round and there was another fox, and again it was off into the hedge like a rocket???? I'm the only one who lamps this permission so things are looking strange......

We then headed off to where some sheep are being over wintered and spotted a dead ewe, and the foxes have had a good much on it, you could the teeth marks in the front shoulder blade, so some more lamping sessions are called for this week.

We then headed back the the first field we were in, hoping to get Dan some more rabbits, we got to the cross over point and looked back with the lamp, and bugger me there was a fox!!!! But was off again, not hanging about at all.

Dan managed to get another rabbit, and we were now heading back to the farm, when scanning aorund i spotted a set of eyes coming a long the hedgerow, but with a road behind it not a chance of a safe shot, so i looked to our left and there was a fox sat in the middle of the field, but at least 300 yards away, so we headed off after that one, keeping the fox just on the edge of the beam, hoping not to spook it, but it started to head off, so i set up on the bi-pod, and got ready for the shot "mmaaaaa" the fox stopped and i was on aim and squeezed off my shot, but missed :( God was i pi**ed off with myself, but at least it was a clean miss.

We spotted a total of 7 foxes (the one was spotted twice i'm sure of it) so i still got lots of Foxing to do ;)

are you useing a fillter on your lamp ?? amber is the one to use ..i dont chase foxs any more if they run i will leave them there always there for next time .sounds to me that that kid and his dad have been lamping on your land .or was it full moon and the foxs can see you ?? go back at first light you should get foxy feeding on that sheep ..

At least when you see so many,if gives you the incentive to go back!!

Does seem as though it,s been lamped by the bloke with the wippet.

You need some NV kip :D although saying that,i was out last night and saw none..although did see 2 lots lamping from vehicles :P which is why i need Nv as everything within lamping distance of a road is lampshy!

GH

Never mind on the miss Kip I know how pissed off you feel. I missed my first fox of the year, I could not beleive it.

Mind you we haven't looked back since.

Good luck with getting them.

Dave

Archived