Tikka t3 Varmint .223 1/8 twist

Hi guy i am after one of these, either a 20" barrel or a 23 3/4 barrel. I know there is one on gun trader, a lite version but i really am after a heavy barrel varmint one if poss.

Can anyone help or does anyone know where I could get on or who stocks them or any further idea's? GMK say there is a 6 month wait list.......

Help guys.

Steve.

Do you mean that some of the are fast twist but they have just not stated it on the add?

Is that what you mean?

Steve.

nowt wrong with the lite... I run one...

Will it be the same for launching the 75/80 weight bullets at long range?

What is the advantages disadvantage or of the lite barrel and the varmint barrel ?

A friend of mine waited 6 months for an 8" twist 20" barrel and it arrived in 12" and long barrel. He told the dealer to forget it and had a gun built instead. It was offered to him at cost price to get rid of it but he didnt want the gun, plain amd simple. The dealers still had it 8 months later, unloved, unsold

Will it be the same for launching the 75/80 weight bullets at long range?

What is the advantages disadvantage or of the lite barrel and the varmint barrel ?

Steve,The +/- of sporter light/varmint heavy barrels are fairly standard (75-80g needs 1/8 twist,of course):

Light sporter: just lighter to carry,slightly easier to shoot offhand;better for stalking,one shot,closer range,big target,carry easier,at least adequate/better accuracy (to me,applies to much foxing too,short barrel no problem)

Varmint/heavy : more stable to shoot from a good rest,better for repeat shots,as barrel heats up slower,and probably has an accuracy edge;less recoil-but of course a bit heavier.'Target' rifles are all heavier profile barrel.No need for excessive barrel length in 223,but I would not shorten if it compromised velocity-long range needs that.

These were exactly the +/- I found with my first two (Sako Forrester HB,and Rem 600 carbine,both 243-each was a great tool for it's job,though in the simple days before twists and lighter bullets etc-and still are.)

I'd think the varminter profile would suit your use better-don't see many sporters used at longer ranges if accuracy really matters,and they would have no advantages at all for that application with repeated shots.

Gbal

Thanks for your replys guys and thanks gbal.

Yeh I would really like the varmint/heavy barrel but just cant seem to get one in a tikka t3 and there is a 6 mth wait list, I bet it would also be more like 9 mths too!

Any suggestion on a way forward guys?

Many thank

Steven

the countryman of derby has a t3 varmint stainless in stock dont know what twist is they also have a sako 85 that is a 1 in 8 very nice looking guns

Thanks mate, I have spoke to them and the one the had in 1/8 has been sold. They did mention the sako but at that price id rather buy one of the 2 customs on gun trader for £100-£200 more,, this is looking rather much like the end of the line as im mow stuck for ideas

any any other suggestions guys?

Archived