Dan Strikes again

kip270

After working nights all week, i was off on Sunday so we try to make a point of getting out with the lamp, Dan was the rifleman again and i was the lamper.

We arrived at the farm at 8:15pm, not the best of night's for it though, no cloud and a very bright moon, and bloody cold with that north easterly wind, but we had to get out and have a look (certainly won't shoot anything from the settee :D ), the first field nothing but rabbits(should of brought the .22 or the .17hmr as well), so we had a good mooch about. Not a single glint of a fox :angry: after nearly 3 1/2 hours walking round. We doubled back on ourselves so were in the first field we came to when we got to the farm, and there were a few bunnies about, so i said to Dan to take one.

He looked at the rabbit and said it was too far, so i pinged it 195 yards, and said shall i shoot it, "OK then, you have a go", so i put the bi-pod on and led down, composed myself and squeezed off my shot, "Thwack" one bunny in the bag. We collected that one and carried on our way, i spotted some more rabbit's, so now it was Dan's turn, he set up on the Varmint sticks and "Bang" dropped the rabbit at 94 yards, reloaded and there was another one a bit further out, so he said for me to shoot this one. I settled down on the sticks and number three was in the bag at around 115 yards(knew i should of brought the .17hmr), we collected those and came to a corner with yet more rabbits there, so i settled on the sticks again and squeezed off my shot, number four in the bag.

Just after my shot Dan spotted a fox in the wood, so i reloaded and waited, but the fox slipped off and away, so we walked over to the rabbit, and as Dan picked it up it's head was gone, no ears,flappy bits or anything, the bullet took it clean off :angry:

Dan gutted the rabbits, and i had a look round with the lamp and spotted a rabbit at 120 yards, i said for Dan to take it. He was going to set up on the bi-pod but we were on a small brow and as he led down he couldn't see the rabbit, so then settled down with the Varmint sticks, i put the lamp on the rabbit, Dan was just about to squeeze off the shot when i spotted a fox in the top part of the lamp, walking from our left to right, not a care in the world. I was just about to say to Dan when he spotted it in the top part of the scope, he said he could see it and moved onto his new target, the fox stopped, i was expecting a bang , but nothing. The fox then turned and started to trot to our left, Dan was on it so i made my noise " maaaaaaaa" the fox stopped and turned slightly towards us, "Bang" "Thud" it dropped on the spot 153 yards off the sticks, a pretty good shot :D

A nice Vixen

DSC00022.jpg

Archived