Bipods v Pedestal rests v Shooting bags

I have always used the 12 x27 swivel Harris bipod and got on reasonably well with it, I have also bought but not really used yet one of Garys Bench Shooting bags with the intention of using it off the bonnet at night and for a bit of casual target shooting.

A while ago I was told by an F class shooter that the tall harris has far to much flex in it to be a really accurate shooting support and the short ones are much better as they are more rigid . I like it because I am always shooting over grass and /or crops.

I am about to build a bench for a bit of a play this summer, for optimum accuracy should I also be using a rest?, I suppose so as the BR shooters do.

Those of you that use at least two of the above front supports, how do you rate them in order of preference assuming that you do not have a height issue. How would an average group stack up using each type of support given the same conditions ?.

Thanks for your thougths.

A

i have used a harris rigid bench rest bipod fror well over 2 years now(think its the 6 to 9 inch) and suits me fine shooting on the range or over the bonnet and with a rear bag under the stock on a good bench or prone i cant see anything else being much more stable, i tryed one of the harris swivelling bi-pods the other day and just couldnt get on with it. If your using your rifles in other situations other than on the bench i would reccomend a smaller harris as they do have their other uses unlike a proper bench mounted rest

Shrek

Guest varmartin

I have a range of bags/rests and home made supports in the way of a sock filled with rice....

I always used to use a Caldwell front and rear bag on the bench and off the bonnet / roof of my 4x4 but in the last 6-12 months have changed my way of thinking and now only use a Harris bi-pod up front.

My reasons are that if I zero with a Bi-pod or bag then fit or use the other there could be a shift in the POI.

I usually tighten the clamp screw as tight as it will go so it will only just swivel

I rate the Harris BR swivel 6-9 as a fine tool off the bonnet or bench alike.

I use the swivel on uneven/ un- level surfaces and a fixed type off the bench at the range.

A sock filled with media works a treat under the but if out in the field or off the roof but still try and use a rear bag if paper punching at the range where POI changes don`t concern me.

Martin

I have most inc front rest, bags and bipod's etc etc even a real beefy version of the sinclair

my preferd is the harris br swivel done up so tight on the tilt that you can just, with force, move it from side to side

it is just about man enough to handle my huge stick that is super heavy, ask others

some guns however have funny likes and dislikes

my 223 dont like shooting from my rock rest

my 762 will shoot from any thing and has achieved sub 1/4 " at 200 yards off an alice pack sniper conversion and so I can pretty well shoot it off a brick wall and get the same results

you will have to play to see what you like but I cant recomend enough that you get yourself a br harris swivel and tighten her up

I have the dog gone good bags from shootingbags and I also use a harris 9-13 swivel. To be honest I much prefer my bipod, I have one of those little levers to tighten the swivel up. I have tried most ways of shooting from the bags and the bipod light hold, tight hold etc and my new preffered way off the bipod is tight hold and just to lean into the bipod slightly and hold the rear bag ears tight and let rip. I find my front shooting bag while can be real good sometimes holds the rifle too tight in the front and the rifle can bounce bit when fired though I think this is maybe down to my forend being quite wide, a sporter stlye forend would work alot better and indeed it does with my friends .222 HW60 which groups real well off the front bag. I am still not wholely staisfied with the bipod and rear bags setup I shoot well with it but I find it takes alot of focus to really shoot those tight groups so I have a front rest on the way to try out, not sure if its actually going to be any better but I will try it anyhow, I think with a bench it is a wise choice just for the adjustability if nothing else, which a bipod you only 1 inch steps but with a front rest you can alter it minutley, you can alter height with the rar bag which is what i currently do while using the bipod but it would be alot better if the stock could rest at the bottom of the rear bag and you just adjust the front.

To be honest, I have tried all sorts of rests over the years, But the best results have been with a harris bi-pod !!!

The one that i am using at the monent is the 9-12,, Did try the bigger one but because i like shooting bug holes i found it to flexy

I also have one that i cut down to the height that suits me,, About 8"

This one i like to use off the bench with a back bag,,,

But i think that if you need height in the summer over the grass, Then you will have to have the bigger one,,, It all boils down to how long the grass is????

If it is to long then why not just shoot off a post or gate or bonnet???

The big ones are nice if you can get your back against a tree???? Good solid rest for a shot at a fox,,

Did try a bald eagle rest last year and it nearly cost me the last two comps at the diggle??

Keep your money and stick with harris????

ps. If you shoot off a congrete bench?? Fold a towel and put it under your bi-pod legs

All the best Darrel

I have the dog gone good bags from shootingbags and I also use a harris 9-13 swivel. To be honest I much prefer my bipod, I have one of those little levers to tighten the swivel up. I have tried most ways of shooting from the bags and the bipod light hold, tight hold etc and my new preffered way off the bipod is tight hold and just to lean into the bipod slightly and hold the rear bag ears tight and let rip. I find my front shooting bag while can be real good sometimes holds the rifle too tight in the front and the rifle can bounce bit when fired though I think this is maybe down to my forend being quite wide, a sporter stlye forend would work alot better and indeed it does with my friends .222 HW60 which groups real well off the front bag. I am still not wholely staisfied with the bipod and rear bags setup I shoot well with it but I find it takes alot of focus to really shoot those tight groups so I have a front rest on the way to try out, not sure if its actually going to be any better but I will try it anyhow, I think with a bench it is a wise choice just for the adjustability if nothing else, which a bipod you only 1 inch steps but with a front rest you can alter it minutley, you can alter height with the rar bag which is what i currently do while using the bipod but it would be alot better if the stock could rest at the bottom of the rear bag and you just adjust the front.

Hi Craig,

Sorry for butting in but the front bench bags can be made with a wider channel for benchrest type forends at no extra cost. These wider channel bags are made to order and therefore delivery is 4-6 weeks.

Guest varmartin

I would like to add I also have one of Gary`s ( shootingbags ) window bags that hangs over the glass.

It works a treat and quite honestly cant be bettered in this application.

Martin

I would like to add I also have one of Gary`s ( shootingbags ) window bags that hangs over the glass.

Martin

Had one of these delivered today.

After using 1 across in Ireland, i just had to have 1 :blink: - they are a cracking bit of kit

Martin

I also have a window bag and as you say is an excellent bit of kit from the passengers window, not missed one yet with it.

I cannot get the hang of using it from the drivers window yet, seems to close and the Disco 2 glass drops away on the front at the height you need it.

Thanks for the info Gary. I will second the window bag, I have one myself and I really like it beats pipe lagging, the whole shooting bag range is pretty good stuff I have the rear holland bag and wouldnt leave the house without it clipped on my belt, also have the rear wedge bag and off my new bench it works great, as I say the front bag does work great with a sporter stock.

Archived