Parker Hale TX1200

Just bought a MINT condition parker hale TX1200. Lovely rifle! Just got to figure out how to fit a scope to her and get some load dev done and its a nice cheap tool to get me into F TR ;)

I had one for a bit, nice rifle. From what I remember the action is based on a Mauser and EGW in the states were able to supply a one piece picatinny rail. You will need a smith to drill and tap holes for you in the receiver however. Maybe third eye tactical can supply something suitable to fit?

The action is already drilled and tapped. Do you mean have the present holes bored out bigger? I'm told near engineering in Canada make a rail for the TX I'm awaiting conformation from them. Just giving her a good clean! ;)

I had one for a bit, nice rifle. From what I remember the action is based on a Mauser and EGW in the states were able to supply a one piece picatinny rail. You will need a smith to drill and tap holes for you in the receiver however. Maybe third eye tactical can supply something suitable to fit?

Mate was the egw base the k98 Mauser rail?

Danny,

the 1200 TX used surplus German KAR98 WW2 rifle actions - available for pennies in the 50s and early 60s and P-H bought thousands. They chose selected examples from the piles of rubbish that many of these surplus lots consisted of, cleaned and reblued them and fitted a better trigger (I imagine - can't remember what my TX used) as well as improving the bolt-knob.

I think they were all, certainly mostly, factory drilled and tapped as P-H put a lot of effort into export sales to the USA and that market saw scope facilities as essential even back then. Every maker of mounts and bases listed Mauser 98 / KAR98 versions, and many still do. It's what's called the 'large ring' Mauser type that you need. (The ring being the receiver diameter at the front end of the action - Mauser 98s in their various versions and export models use it; Swedish M94/96s and earlier Mausers from the Spanish '93 model on are smaller diameter and are called 'small ring').

Mentioning EGW as you did led me to do a quick check on Midway UK as I know they stock this company's products and sure enough a 20-MOA taper large ring Mauser 98 Picatinny rail by EGW is currently listed thereon at £42 + P&P and shown as 'in stock'.

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=Innochange_FactFinderSearch&ChannelID=10098&ObjectID=10158&query=*&filterCatPathsROOT%2FOptics%2FBases+%26+Mounts+-+Scopes=Mauser&filterCatIDs=10158&filterCatPathsROOT=Optics&filterPrice_Currency=GBP~~%C2%A3&filterCatPathsROOT%2FOptics=Bases+%26+Mounts+-+Scopes&channel=products_uk&format=XML&catalog=true

Later P-H sporters, target rifles and military / police rifles used an improved Mauser 98 action that was bought from the old Spanish state arsenal at La Corunna, and which was sold as an action alone to US gunsmiths as the 'Santa Barbara Mauser'. It was much improved in the bolt shroud, trigger / safety areas over the original military model and looked prettier. I'm not sure if it used the same hole-spacing as the Large Ring 98 models, but bases and rails are still available for it too.

Have fun!

Norman Clark knows all there is to know about the Parker-Hale rifles .The TX 1200 is a Santa Barbera action and is the single shot version of the M84 /Canadian C3 sniper rifle .The correct mounts for this rifle are still available as Parker - Hale rahs 3 or 4 depending on scope tube diameter. The M85 sniper rifle used a slightly different action body with a square section ,flat top receiver and a longer barrel tenon. Norman Clark still has lots of genuine parts and Bill,who is semi retired ,has an encyclopaedic memory ,exploded parts drawings are available on Clark's website .

I have an M84 with it's original ZF84 scope and original steel P-H mounts , it shoots better than me ;¬))

Wow thanks once again laurie! Just to be sure is the rail item No 247180?

Thank again laurie

Danny

Danny,

check the hole spacing on your TX. Midway product # 247180 is EGW product # 47002 which has a hole spacing of 3.825". As it says below that's between the centres of the two middle holes.

Price: $39.99
Product ID : 47000-47012
Select Drilled or Undrilled and MOA:
Mauser 98 Large Ring Drilled 0 MOA [47000]

Mauser 98 Large Ring Drilled 20 MOA [47002]

Mauser 98 Large Ring Undrilled 0 MOA [47010]

Mauser 98 Large Ring Undrilled 20 MOA [47012]

Quantity
Description

Machined From: Domestic 6061 T6 Extruded Aluminum

Finish: Matte Black Only

Mounting Hardware: Hex Head Screws and Wrench Provided

Please review the following specs to determine which mount you need:

Mount

Center Spread*

Overall Length of Mount

Commercial Mauser (Drilled)

3.825”

6.676”

Commercial Mauser (Undrilled)

N / A

6.676”

*The center spread is the distance between the two middle holes, center to center, on your receiver.

Archived