22/250 Barrel Lenth

My 22/250 has a 24 inch barrel when mod is fitted [t8] it leaves the overall lenth akward for disembarking from a Landrover especially when out lamping. My question is how short can I cut back my barrel back without affecting performance too much.

My 22/250 has a 24 inch barrel when mod is fitted [t8] it leaves the overall lenth akward for disembarking from a Landrover especially when out lamping. My question is how short can I cut back my barrel back without affecting performance too much.

If done well and recrowned,accuracy shuld not be affected.

Think about 20 fps approx per inch of barrel removed.

Given that a 222/223 is velocity enough,I doubt that any likely lamping quarry will notice the loss of 100 (or even 200) fps !

cf with 40g BC.20 bullet,200 zero ,22/250 with mv 4150 ,is about 5 inches low at 300 and 14

low at 400,223 with 3600 is 6.5 and 20

so even with 500 fps reduction,there is less than 2 inches diff at 300,though there is 15 diff at 400-but you won't be reducing MV anything like that much!

Gbal

I seem to remember 30fps quoted per inch. It would partly depend on the powder used and how much barrel length it needed to burn in. If you load your own you can counter the speed loss to some extent. I shortened my 243 and both 22rfs any loss of fps is far outweighed by better handling for their different uses.

I seem to remember 30fps quoted per inch. It would partly depend on the powder used and how much barrel length it needed to burn in. If you load your own you can counter the speed loss to some extent. I shortened my 243 and both 22rfs any loss of fps is far outweighed by better handling for their different uses.

Agree-it's complex,as usual.And it just varies rifle to rifle,calibre to calibre-and of course where the barrel is shortened-well past burn say 28 inches,there is little loss,close to say 21 inche more loss. Whatever it averages at,15-30 fps wg,makes little difference to the effective ballistics-deer minima excepted,maybe-which is why I gave the actual data for velocity effects- (except in extremes and at longish range-400 +)...

But the gain in actually getting a shot off is considerable,as you say,sonic!

I think the data on rfs is clearer,and 15 inches or so won't spoil the ballistics-maybe shorter....subject of course to legalities...

Gbal

22 inches is minimum I would go for 22/250. My Rpa is 24 inches and as you say can be Abit long with mod on the end getting in and out of 4x4.

But for the sake of cutting 2 inches off it I would prefer to save my dosh and put up with the length it is.

Its so accurate also so why change what isn't broke

me my self i would leave it like it is pal,i used a 26 inch barrel on a 22.250 for years and it was what you read in books when they say easy to hit rabbits etc out to 300 or more yards, i sold it and got a 24 inch sako, a top gun but for some reason i could tell when i shot it out to 300 yards or about the bullet was not as flat as the longer barrel with the same load i have always used.me my self if you only shoot up to 200 yards it will not effect you that much or the foxes,just i think that bit more length is there for a reason,just, i would sooner it be a bit difficult taking it out the land rover than making it more difficult to hit the fox as foxes are hard enough to hit at the best of times,just my opinion, cheers simon...

There is always a compromise. personally I find handling far more important than fps. If your missing foxes because you can't get out of the truck then it's worth the loss of fps. If you've not lost one due to getting out the door then leave it be.

Just to clarify I had 2" taken off my 243 gaining 2" overall with the mod on.

Brno 22rf at 16" about the same lenth pre chop with a PH mod

And 1022 at 12 1/2" purely for rabbiting out the truck window.

The pro's and con's were weighed up beforehand but I wouldn't change any of them.

There is always a compromise. personally I find handling far more important than fps. If your missing foxes because you can't get out of the truck then it's worth the loss of fps. If you've not lost one due to getting out the door then leave it be.

Just to clarify I had 2" taken off my 243 gaining 2" overall with the mod on.

Brno 22rf at 16" about the same lenth pre chop with a PH mod

And 1022 at 12 1/2" purely for rabbiting out the truck window.

The pro's and con's were weighed up beforehand but I wouldn't change any of them.

ye fair play sonic i dont disagree with that,i do shoot from a vehicle quite a bit and it can be bad news with long barrels, i think its just a personal thing at the end of the day,if your shooting off the bonnet its not to bad but when shooting out the window it can be hard work, cheers simon...

Archived