live to die another day

foxshot

Had a look out on my local patch last night, i have had more success lately on this area than normal can actually walk out my front door and be on the ground in a few paces or drive up to the farm and lamp from there,i opted for the first route as this produced last time,the fields were wet so it was quite hard going ,as i approached a gate i spotted some eyes just down from it in the field now i gave a call and the fox responded and i thought it was going to head my way but i lost sight of it,then i saw it in the field to my left i got down as it sat looking ,down in what must have been the wettest part of the field and the bugger walked away st oping only ocasionaly,up i got soaked and started to walk parallel with it then it went into another field and again just sat looking ,no matter where i positioned my self i couldn't get a clear shot,so it was a case of walking to the farm lane go up behind it and hopefully get a shot off,by now it was barking and still siting in the same spot i approached the gate to the field to where it was ,the gate was open so that was a help then there it was must have been no more than 70 yds away again got the cross hares on it and off it went , i swear the bloody thing was saying catch me if you can, off it went into the distance again stopping to watch, after another stalk it was siting on a mound not bothered by the lamp again i got ready on a post and yet a bloody gain off it went only this time it went onto ground where i don't have permission so it was the end of the hunt, i could have taken long range shots at it over 250 or so, i couldn't guarantee a clean kill and i have a little more respect for the red stinkers than that, to say it was a challenge was an understatement, no result this time if i had shot it it would be no doubt be the most memorable for a long time

i could have taken long range shots at it over 250 or so, i couldn't guarantee a clean kill and i have a little more respect for the red stinkers than that

Fair play to you fella great to hear of a shooter with respect for the quarry regardless of what it is im sure you will catch up with it another day ;)

Great write up too :)

Archived