HMR barrel cleaning.

Wabbitslayer

I'd be interested to know how often is considered necessary to clean hmr barrels. I normally just pull a bore snake through after every session and then a proper clean about every 200 shots. I don't like cleaning rimfires too often because every time it could cause more harm than good, especially with a tiny bore like the .17. However, I don't want corrosion to set in due to lack of cleaning. Anyone on here had any issues with hmr's in this respect? Thanks for any replies.

Boresnake after every box of ammo or when accuracy drops off. Tried cleaning mine like i would my centrefires, took a box of ammo to get it back on song,...soon dropped that idea!

Regards.

Stopped using a boresnake after being told they do more harm than good, so just put a rod and brush through after use and a good clean after 200 / 250 rounds.

I do find the Hmr to be a very dirty round, the sound mod needs stripping and cleaning more than the barrel which is 16"

I run a bore snake through, but I leave the mod on so as to ensure it exits the crown square, I think the issue with any type of 'pull through' is crown wear if pulled at an angle. But I use one without the brush in it, and de-carbon it after every two boxes or so.

Pete

I see posts on different forums regarding bore corrosion. I'm not a fan of over cleaning every time I use a rifle, but then I don't want my barrels damaged due to a lack of routine maintenance. I hardly ever clean my .22 lr barrel but I thought the hmr might be a bit more fussy. I'd be happy to leave it alone for a couple of hundred rounds or until accuracy starts to drop off if its going to be no detriment.

Archived