Riflescope Sunshades

When I bought a Swarovski 6-18 AV scope some time ago it was supplied with a free sunshade (well as free as anything ever is :mellow: ). I have never used it until now - the sunshade extends the scope and allows me to fit a butler creek (which will not fit without the sunshade as the scope is too tight to the Rifle Barrel).

This got me thinking as to whether or not fitting the Sunshade would adversely impact the light gathering ability of the scope? Thinking logically it should but then again if this was the case it makes you wonder if flip up scope covers could also have an impact (albeit a very small impact). Then there are things like the Leupold anti reflection devices which you would assume must impact upon light gathering?

Not sure if anyone has views, knows for definite or has investigated this and any info would be appreciated (before I buy any more sunshades :lol: ).

Stephen.

I usually have mine fitted, makes life slightly easier shooting into the sun late in the day. Also a bit of gaffer tape accross the bottom if it will eliminate glare from the moddy from a scope mounted lamp.

A

The light gathering ability will not be affected by the shade, if it were they would make it differently. In fact shades have more effect on low magnification like 4 x but still not enough to worry about. What it does do is reduce flare ( light bouncing back off the internal glass onto the lens in front of it which makes it look hazy or greyed out).

Use and enjoy :mellow:

Redfox

Make sure that the sun shade fits properly i.e. that the threaded area is not too long -sometime they stop at the end of the thread instead of the shoulder. On Benchrest scopes you check for a possible accuracy or p.o.i. change when you add sunshades. I had no problems using a short sun shade or longer after market longer one on a Siebert leupold 32 X .

Glenn

Archived