17 Hornet

foxing2night

Sure i read in one of the shooting mags the other day chap had 2 fox's one at 160 and the other at 220 and they dropped on the spot :blink:

That's what i like to hear???,,

Should be a good little var-minter with the ability to take foxes humanly,,,

All this in a nice little package,,

Darrel

I think they must have ammo as Hornady were quicker off the mark than Savage and the proof house etc dont get involved for every single round!

My local shop has guns and ammo but i didnt want to test the plastic stocked model so have held out for a laminate and its just waiting on the back burner. It only comes to mind now when i see posts like this. :-)

My 'brother' is well, we were both at Diggle on sunday but other that some scope setup on A range didnt shoot the comp as the low cloud prevented C range opening up so we called it quits at 11:30 and went to my mums for sunday lunch:-)

That's what i like to hear???,,

Should be a good little var-minter with the ability to take foxes humanly,,,

All this in a nice little package,,

Darrel

No doubt it will,though 200+ is pushing it a bit.What won't,sometimes? What really sorts the possibles from the humane is the ratio-10 shots ,10 foxes is quite different from 10 shots,6 foxes.(though what we hear about is the 6).No doubt the old Hornet killed some deer too,but....there are better tools for both jobs.

george

I would suggest that 200 is far to far for the caliber on foxes. I have used my 17AH for a couple of years and am far from convinced about its ability on foxes using 20gr bullets. I am told that 25s are better so have just bought some Hornady 25gr HPs to try.

The furthest I have shot a fox with it was a big cub autumn 2011 at 150 yards, front on chest shot it went down thrashing about but had expired by the time I had another one in. With my 20 cal it would have dropped like a brick. I did have another old fox not picked after a similar shot last summer hence my concern.

Dont buy one as a dedicated fox rifle, other calibers are far better suited but as a general purpose vermin rifle for anything that walks or flies then its a lovely little round but limit the distance on foxes. As you get older its about doing the same but with less clout and for that its excellent.

A

I would suggest that 200 is far to far for the caliber on foxes. I have used my 17AH for a couple of years and am far from convinced about its ability on foxes using 20gr bullets. I am told that 25s are better so have just bought some Hornady 25gr HPs to try.

The furthest I have shot a fox with it was a big cub autumn 2011 at 150 yards, front on chest shot it went down thrashing about but had expired by the time I had another one in. With my 20 cal it would have dropped like a brick. I did have another old fox not picked after a similar shot last summer hence my concern.

Dont buy one as a dedicated fox rifle, other calibers are far better suited but as a general purpose vermin rifle for anything that walks or flies then its a lovely little round but limit the distance on foxes. As you get older its about doing the same but with less clout.

Have threy got the 17 hornet ammo in????

Any way how are you keeping

ATB Darrel ;)

P.S How is your brother :D

I bought some 17 Hornet cases a few months ago that came through Edgar Bros.

A

A

Built one only a few weeks back. Not sure my customer is a member here but he

will be from today after he gave me his results from my first .17 Hornet build.

Hi Fergal.

How has your 17 hornet turned out. Have you any pictures.

Hi Fergal.

How has your 17 hornet turned out. Have you any pictures.

One small update.

After sourcing some Accurate 1680 at the show and trying some Federal magnum pistol primers (Mike Norris suggestion) I was informed today the rifle shot 20gr Berger @ 3900 and grouped in the .2s with 12gr.

Velocity was measure with a Magnetospeed and we still don't trust it 100%, but the little Hornet seems to have some teeth

Be intresting to see how the new winchester 17 super mag rimfire will preform. i'm sure there quoting 3000fps with a 20gr bullet, not bad for a rimfire. Should make a nice mid range crow basher.

RGDS SEAN

Thats the delight of the 17 caliber driven at some speed, crows are though very intelligent, you can get the first one of a pair fairly easily but the second usually knows what has happened when a Landrover driving slowly approaches. Took me four months to get one particular crow last year, in the end I was walking back to the truck out in his field when he gave me a shot at about 160 yards off a tree protection fence post, he was a bit unlucky I felt. He would not allow the Landrover within 200 yards and he was always up a tree so not safe.

A

Archived