Stink Tubes

varminter.223

Hey,

I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on this one but neither myself or my shooting pard ( yeah, share the stupidity :( ) know what a stink tube is or how to go about making one for luring in the bad boys!

Appreciate any advice ( could you please limit responses to words of one sylable)

Ta Muchly. :(

Stink tubes are easily made, a 4 or 6 inch pipe with end caps, lots of hole drilled in it so what ever you put inside to temped Charley with will leach out, don't for get to attach a chain or rope to stake it down. Leave in place for a day or so then come back and wait until dark and see what happens.

Stink tubes are easily made, a 4 or 6 inch pipe with end caps, lots of hole drilled in it so what ever you put inside to temped Charley with will leach out, don't for get to attach a chain or rope to stake it down. Leave in place for a day or so then come back and wait until dark and see what happens.

hi

i thought there was a post somewhere that told you how to make one, it had picks and the lot

ATB

Colin :lol:

I stand to be corrected on this, but be careful where you leave these. Gamekeepers etc used to make stink pits a round hole about half a bucket deep fill with guts offal etc and surround with sticks driven into the ground so far apart 2"?, so they had to work hard to get at the contents and push into the snares.

These have been ruled illegal, along with lamb carcases etc etc, so I would imagine the tubes would be as you are still leaving offal dripping / stinking around the countryside, although its mostly about spreading disease. :lol:

In the good old days I used to kill over 100 rabbits a night and gut them ready for the game dealers, the guts were many and very useful. :lol:

Redfox

I use bait and a stink tube of sorts and had a concern around the legal issues so I sent a not to BASC asking for advice, this is the reply I got:

Dear Jerry

I write to you in response to your question regarding the baiting of high seats for attracting foxes.

The practice you carry out, using dead rabbits to bait your high seat to attract foxes is currently still legal, but I would ask you to read through the Defra advice sheet (link provided) and our own code of practice on lamping foxes (link provided).

Defra’s advice on using rabbits at a midden suggests they should be buried. The reason for this is more complex than it may seem.

There is an ongoing debate between the Defra lawyers and the Environment Agency lawyers as to the classification of carcasses which are the by product of legal sporting activities such as rabbit control (i.e. rabbit carcasses).

The two sides cannot agree whether carcasses from sporting activities, are governed by the same legislation as fallen farm stock. The EA believe that carcasses from sporting activities should be disposed of through an approved incinerator in the same way as farm stock, Defra feel burial to an appropriate depth more then four feet is sufficient. BASC recommends Defra’s approach.

So as there is no decision yet on the law regarding disposal of carcasses from sporting activities your activities are still legal but it’s a very grey area.

Going back to your question yes it is legal, BUT we would recommend that you comply with Defra’s advice sheet. To do this in a practical way and still get the benefit of using bait at your midden we recommend the following.

Identify the high seats that are most productive or that you wished to use for fox control, dig a 40 gallon plastic drum into the ground so the rim of the drum is at ground level. Make a cover for the drum or adapt the original cover so that a breather pipe (plastic waste pipe is good, any pipe with sufficient diameter to put dead rabbits down will do) can be inserted into the drum, drill some holes into the breather pipe to allow the scent to escape. The breather pipe does not to stick to far above the ground. Make a lid for the breather pipe too. This will give you a permanent midden just add rabbits to it as you require and you can also stick any foxes you shoot into it by removing the lid and placing them in it. So you are compliant with Defra’s advice and you have an effective midden.

www.defra.gov.uk/rds/publications/technical/TAN_43.pdf

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/foxsnarepractice

I hope you find the information useful and it answers your question, if you require any further information please do contact us.

Kindest regards

Tom Blades

Gamekeeping & Game Shooting Officer

BASC

Marford Mill

Rossett

Wrexham

LL12 0HL

Direct Line 01244 573019

Fax 01244 573013

Thanks for that J, i thought the PC Police would have a negative view on it, but if you follow BASC advice you should be ok, I never need anything so permanent now and just tie or stake a fresh killed rabbit which is legal. you could just use a long enough piece of 4" or 6" pipe buried a few feet into the ground and with holes round the top and a cap on, you would get a few rabbits in that anyway. In the happy days, a road kill or mortality lamb buried a couple of inches down would pull them from miles away and keep doing it for weeks. :blink:

Redfox

Thanks for that J, i thought the PC Police would have a negative view on it, but if you follow BASC advice you should be ok, I never need anything so permanent now and just tie or stake a fresh killed rabbit which is legal. you could just use a long enough piece of 4" or 6" pipe buried a few feet into the ground and with holes round the top and a cap on, you would get a few rabbits in that anyway. In the happy days, a road kill or mortality lamb buried a couple of inches down would pull them from miles away and keep doing it for weeks. :D

Redfox

Thanks guys!

Muchly appreciate all of your valued input! ;)

Archived