How short can I sensibly have a 222 cut down to please

dorg

I am temporarily going to use a Sako 222 that I am saving for a 20 tac later. How short can I cut the barrel down to without major loss of velocity please.

I am going to temporarily going to use a Sako 222 that Iam saving for a 20 tac later. how short can I cut the barrel down to without major loss of velocity please.
Some might think it a shame to cut a sako,but it does make it handier,and if you are going to rebarrel later,you might be looking at about 30 fps per inch-rifles vary,and it's not quite the same for every inch...less for long,more for short barrels.Should stay a dandy 200-250y little rifle-mine did!

george

It seems I can get it cut to what ever I want, good news thanks chaps.

.....as long (sic!!) as it's legal....you just lose some velocity per inch,but the 222 with sako twist rate-and therefore bullets around 52 g or less-mine loves the new 35g barnes- and 10% down o powder compared to 223,is never going to be a 600y rifle.The 222's forte is just superlative accuracy at short (er) range - it was 100/200 bench rest in it's day,and a delight to shoot.So short barrel isn't a big deal.and the older sako is real class- enjoy it . 204 of course will take it past the old 22/250,though with lighter bullets.

george

Archived