Question for the riflesmiths

When fitting a barrel to an action, do you "point the barrel upwards"???

What I mean is; prior to chambering, when the chamber end has been clocked in to zero, do you check the muzzle end for run-out, and then "time" the tenon thread to ensure that the run-out at the muzzle, is (as closely as possible) pointing upwards?

I guess I'm talking about a barrel that's been held and clocked up through the headstock. In which case, I assume there has to be some degree of run-out at the muzzle, as, although I'd think a barrels bore is very close to dead straight, it must surely deviate by some amount?

Or, is the run-out that I mention so negligible that it's not worth considering, even on "long range" applications?

Thanks for looking.

Adrian.

Hi Adrian,

Most quality barrels have negligeable run out in the bore due to straightening at various points during the manufacturing process. If anything the exterior profile of the barrel is more likely to show runout. Even if it were practical to 'time' the barrel to give 'free elevation' it would only be worth a click or two on the scope,

Alan

Thanks for replying. I was thinking more about eliminating scope cross over, rather than gaining elevation advantges. Thanks again!

I'm sure a long time ago, probably pre-Google I read an interesting article about barrels. In summary it said that the bore profile was like a banana and with care the orientation of the banana could be determined. It suggested that with care the banana could be orientated in the vertical plane. The process seemed a bit like getting your tyres balanced. I've not had time to Google, but I am sure some careful searching will come up with something. Regards JCS

Archived