pulsar 550

pork chop

i;ve had a pulsar for a couple of years now but all ways struggled with it .problem is image always seems to dark,so went out saturday night with a clusen lamp fitted with a ir filter on top much better managed to drop a fox at 80 yrd .could also make out posts in hedge at 200 yrd just ,so question is do i buy some better ir ,was thinking of nightmaster 800 will i see a gain or should i just save my money

yes i know what u mean and i know your spot on ,but just not got the 2 to 3 gs to spend on new kit wish i had .so for now need to use what i've got to the best effect.come on those numbers

Thanks for your comments, if you have 2-3gs as you say I would go for a good Archer and spend the balance on buying a good scope to match it like a Leupold VX111, buy an extra metal collar for £100 and link it to a cqb compact scope for spotting. You could get the whole lot for well under 3K. I feel this set up would be better than a Pulsar 550 as it will still leave you with a good rifle and scope to use in the light.

ATB

Mike.......................

thats the problem magic not got it ,do like the idea of the archer though is that what your using

I have used a Acher D grade and tried many scopes with it for several years now, good for spotting if you link it to the right scope, then you can quickly put it on the rifle scope and shoot. I have shot quite a few long range foxes with it out to 250 yards but in reality the Archer with a good scope is good out to about 150 yards. Its a good value bit of kit and the d grade with a tidy tube will do the job very well.

These days I have moved on to a Starlight Longbow, this to is a nice bit of kit and will give you another 100 yards over the Archer. With the Longbow 250 yard foxes are very shootable. I use a PVS18 yes 18 as a spotter this is linked to mil spec 3 times lens and an pulsar lr808 laser mounted on it.Epic for spotting. I have used the nightmaster 800 ir light with it but its to bright.

I would never be without my Archer and I have had this retubed with an A grade tube,looks the same as a D grade but just a bit more clarity. The Archer now has been demoted to the Sako 17HMR and I use it as a highly effective rabbit shooting tool.

Like we said in our earlier posts the budget is the key and if I had 2-3k to spend I know what my set up would be.

ATB

Mike...........

• 1 month later...

bit of an up date to an old post ,i picked up a nm800 at the show was not to sure about spending more money no the pulsar but very glad i did.what a transformation could clearly make out detail of bushes and drystone wall out to about 300yrd and sheep at over 400yrd.shot a fox at over 200 yrd which stood out very clearly .well pleased as was about to give up on the pulsar

Archived