Only 1 fox but a good shot

craigyboy

Wednesdy night me and a mate who owns a diary farm went out over his ground for a bit of foxing. We left at about 10:30pm. We started out in the corner of field thats probably about 10 acres and backs off to a big wood I have seen quite a few foxes in this field but never shot one in it and couple of neighbours have also reported seeing 2 foxes sporting at different times so I was optimistic but after 15 minutes caling I no joy. We moved onto another field where we shot 15 foxes alone in last year, it seems to be a crossing point for foxes from all territorys, last time we were out we shot 2 in about 5 minutes in it and there was another hanging around the fringes, but on wednesday there wasnt a fox to be seen and calling brought up nothing. So after another bit of dandering we spotted one about 150 yards away, it was sitting in a hollow so we had to get closer for the shot, we managed to get up on a little rise where I could get on the fox, problem was now it was sitting down with its back to us and I couldnt make a positive ID we called and squeaked and eventually it turned its head giving me a very small opportunity and a positive ID which I took and missed, completely shocked I havent missed a fox in at least 6 months and was not a happy chappy, I worked the bolt and dropped another round in hoping I might get another go. I wasnt hopeful as it dissapered along the hedge but then for some strange reason it cut back across us at about 220 yards and it was running hard and a tricky shot but I had allready educated it once so missing it again wouldnt matter much so I held out in front of him and a bit high and boom, poleaxed with a perfect heart shot, couldnt believe I did hit it but glad I made it and saved some face, it was a very small vixen, even a bit small to be last years cub. We packed up and went home after that one, hada say even though it was only 1 fox which isnt a big night it was one of the best shots I have ever made, I usually stay away from running shots but desperation was sinking in on missing the first shot.

STP61086.jpg you can just see the little mark of discoloured fur where the bullet struck above the front leg just in front.

STP61087.jpg unusually the exit was quite bad, its the first time using the 32g vmax I have seen one like this but there was no doubt he was dead on impact.

My mate who owns the farm rung me to tell me after that night someone broke into his one of his sheds and stole 2 chainsaws, a brand new jet washer, a 1 year old honda quad and a cattle trailer, thieving bastards apparently the police reckon they were sat in one of the outhouses watching waiting for me to go and for the mate to go to bed.

Cracking shot it is one of those that youll remember for a long time ,what calibre are you shooting and is that a cooper rifle ?

looks a lovely piece of kit what ever it is :angry:

Nemasis243 it is a cooper that has been rebarreled to a tactical20 and is an accurate piece of kit, regular under 1/4 moa at 100 yards gun.

sorry to hear about your mates farm there cracking fox would it be of any use putting a stolen section on this board so if anything dose go missing there could be some details of it on here incase it gets offered to another member for sale ?

just an idea

Wednesdy night me and a mate who owns a diary farm went out over his ground for a bit of foxing. We left at about 10:30pm. We started out in the corner of field thats probably about 10 acres and backs off to a big wood I have seen quite a few foxes in this field but never shot one in it and couple of neighbours have also reported seeing 2 foxes sporting at different times so I was optimistic but after 15 minutes caling I no joy. We moved onto another field where we shot 15 foxes alone in last year, it seems to be a crossing point for foxes from all territorys, last time we were out we shot 2 in about 5 minutes in it and there was another hanging around the fringes, but on wednesday there wasnt a fox to be seen and calling brought up nothing. So after another bit of dandering we spotted one about 150 yards away, it was sitting in a hollow so we had to get closer for the shot, we managed to get up on a little rise where I could get on the fox, problem was now it was sitting down with its back to us and I couldnt make a positive ID we called and squeaked and eventually it turned its head giving me a very small opportunity and a positive ID which I took and missed, completely shocked I havent missed a fox in at least 6 months and was not a happy chappy, I worked the bolt and dropped another round in hoping I might get another go. I wasnt hopeful as it dissapered along the hedge but then for some strange reason it cut back across us at about 220 yards and it was running hard and a tricky shot but I had allready educated it once so missing it again wouldnt matter much so I held out in front of him and a bit high and boom, poleaxed with a perfect heart shot, couldnt believe I did hit it but glad I made it and saved some face, it was a very small vixen, even a bit small to be last years cub. We packed up and went home after that one, hada say even though it was only 1 fox which isnt a big night it was one of the best shots I have ever made, I usually stay away from running shots but desperation was sinking in on missing the first shot.

STP61086.jpg you can just see the little mark of discoloured fur where the bullet struck above the front leg just in front.

STP61087.jpg unusually the exit was quite bad, its the first time using the 32g vmax I have seen one like this but there was no doubt he was dead on impact.

My mate who owns the farm rung me to tell me after that night someone broke into his one of his sheds and stole 2 chainsaws, a brand new jet washer, a 1 year old honda quad and a cattle trailer, thieving bastards apparently the police reckon they were sat in one of the outhouses watching waiting for me to go and for the mate to go to bed.

::Craigboy sorry to here about your pals stuff bing nicked! you"ll not have to be a brain surgeon to work out who took them, You know were iam coming "from" ;)

Excellent shot craig you wont forget that one in a hurry :( It was well worth the attempt and it paid off.

Thats some blow to the farmer serious £££'s worth of gear gone there :( Bloody thieving scum.

Thanks lads, been thinking about that shot still, pure fluke cant believe how lucky it was doubt I could do it again if I had the chance.

Archived